What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iOS 7.1.2 Update

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just downloaded the new iOS update, 7.1.2. Was away from the pad for a few minutes. Came back and opened the lid, and it said there was a new update. Didn't take long to update. Hope I don't have issues from it. Always a little skeptical with uodating. Will hold off on my phone for a bit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
These minor updates rarely cause problems. They are mostly bug fixes and security patches. If you are worried about them wait a day or two, and if no one complains (and you are not jailbroken) install them.

In the case of major iOS updates, a week or two is recommended for those of a cautious nature.

In general, I recommend you restart your iPad before any update. This clears RAM and give the OS a clean slate; so that interruptions or other glitches in the middle of the update are less likely to cause problems.

A restart afterwards isn't a bad idea either; even though restarting is a part of the update.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I updated the first day, and have noticed zero differences. That's good, as I was happy already! :)

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I restored and updated my iPad2 and put my back up back yesterday. Everything went smoothly. The iPad seems to be loading pages faster than my previous. 7.0.6 on safari. Also they made some changes to the keyboard :)

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update went smoothly and no problems so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone knows whether the update is smoothly for an iPhone 4s? My friend wants to update but has some doubts. Thanks in advance. ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I updated my iPad 2 last night - cabled to my MBPro - took a LONG time for the download but installed fine and the iPad is showing no issues.

Now, DL the update to my wife's iPad Mini via her iMac computer, i.e. cabled to iTunes - taking over an hour to get this update (a major PITA to wait) - suspect no problem and assume the Apple servers are busy? - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updating through iTunes downloads the entire iOS 7 update, as if you were doing it from scratch. I seem to remember someone saying it is about 1.3 GB; so it's going to take a while.

The OTA (Over The Air) update that you do directly on the iPad is only a patch; and about 21 MB.

It's good to have both, because sometimes you need the complete update; but for these small updates the OTA is faster and less likely to cause problems {provided you have a reasonably fast and stable wi-fi and internet connection}.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP - wife's Mini is fine also, but took a LONG time over the cabled connection - believe that I've done OTA updates which were quicker. I guess for the next MAJOR upgrade, i.e. going to the iOS 8 version that a cabled connection would be best? Not sure? Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP - wife's Mini is fine also, but took a LONG time over the cabled connection - believe that I've done OTA updates which were quicker. I guess for the next MAJOR upgrade, i.e. going to the iOS 8 version that a cabled connection would be best? Not sure? Dave :)

Many people recommend the cabled method for major iOS updates. I've use both. With the exception of the time I interrupted the cabled version before it finished, during one of the pause/restart phases, they all worked.

There probably isn't any speed advantage to a major iOS update. It's not a patch, so the OTA is going to have to download the entire file. On the other hand, if you have more than one iOS device of the same model, the cable method will save you time. iTunes only needs to download the update once for each model.

If your internet connection is at all chancy, stick to the cable if you have a choice.

All things equal, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. Apple's got most of the bugs out of the OTA method. Which is good, since quite a few of the newer iPad owners have never used iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts