What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here

gonzo1cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a full-time college student, and just ordered my iPad today. I really can't wait to start taking it to school, taking notes, and downloading books.

I am a math major, and am looking for a note taking app that will allow typing, and drawing, writing. Any suggestions?

Also, are there many textbooks available in iBooks?

Thanks,

gonz

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and a warm welcome to the iPadForums :)

I'm not personally aware of any actual text books that are currently available on the iBookStore just yet. I have seen much news as well as rumors surrounding the text book industries and hope that it is something that comes to fruition soon, if not for the folks that have to purchase and carry individual books about, but for those who also foot the bill for those books.

The convenience alone will be a great benefit and along with the multitasking support arriving soon with iPhone OS 4.0, working from a book while performing other duties such as note taking etc, will be slicker than ever on the iPad.

I am in both IT and Service Repair businesses and perform all kinds of daily duties as well as routines which one day may require one way of doing things as the next day requires another. Performing tasks on the iPhone was a great freedom from desktops as well as laptop use for me while out performing my daily service contracts. I was even able to create now on the iBookStore all my Laser Printer Manuals and have them at my disposal as e-books. So I am still migrating many of the apps I used so arduously on the iPhone to now use on the iPad and as the new versions arrive I am happily updating them to the better looking iPad device for me and my customers.

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and a warm welcome to the iPadForums :)

I'm not personally aware of any actual text books that are currently available on the iBookStore just yet. I have seen much news as well as rumors surrounding the text book industries and hope that it is something that comes to fruition soon, if not for the folks that have to purchase and carry individual books about, but for those who also foot the bill for those books.

The convenience alone will be a great benefit and along with the multitasking support arriving soon with iPhone OS 4.0, working from a book while performing other duties such as note taking etc, will be slicker than ever on the iPad.

I am in both IT and Service Repair businesses and perform all kinds of daily duties as well as routines which one day may require one way of doing things as the next day requires another. Performing tasks on the iPhone was a great freedom from desktops as well as laptop use for me while out performing my daily service contracts. I was even able to create now on the iBookStore all my Laser Printer Manuals and have them at my disposal as e-books. So I am still migrating many of the apps I used so arduously on the iPhone to now use on the iPad and as the new versions arrive I am happily updating them to the better looking iPad device for me and my customers.

hi so with iBook you create PDF and import in ? or you made in you desktop and export in iBook ?

that sound to me really interesting

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, they were originally PDF's, I converted them to epub format then imported to iBooks. There is a thread here on iPadForums some where on this very subject and very helpful.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There used to be torrent site dedicated to college text books, people would scan them and share them as PDFs. I'm sure if it's not around anymore there is something similar. I just bought my little brother an iPad as a graduation present, should be great for a college student!

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome GonzoCat. The Ipad will become your best friend. You might also want to consider Evernote-I have it on my Mac and Ipad, and also access from work. It works great, not sure if you can write/draw. They have made some recent improvements.

Most reactions

Latest posts