What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New File

SgtBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a novice with the iPAD so I need some basic advice.

How does one move/copy/insert a file from my iMAC to the iPAD? I have a file on my iMAC consisting of a number of work items (letters, etc)in a file called My Work, so how do I get My Work into the iPAD

Bob

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don't just move folders to the iPad. There is no general file space that can be accessed by apps (with a few exceptions).

Instead you copy the files to the apps that support that file type. The exact method varies from app to app, but the most common methods involve emailing the file you yourself, using DropBox on both the computer and iPad, iCloud (if the app supports it), and direct wi-fi access from within the app.

So, your first step is to decide what app on the iPad you want the files in and then getting that app installed (if it is not already).

Now, I said that you can't just copy My Work to the iPad, and that is technically true, but there are ways to make those files available on the iPad through other apps.

I've already mentioned DropBox. With this app you can have a folder on your computer that is automatically synced/available on the iPad. These files are online, not local, unless you favorite them. DropBox can read some of these files, but it will not do much more. If you need to do work on a file you will still have to copy the file to a compatible app using the DropBox app. DropBox is not the only service you can use this way. Box.com and Google Drive are also used this way by many members.

The other choice is an app like GoodReader. GoodReader is mostly a PDF annotation/reader app, but it can also store other app types, and read/display many of them. Like DropBox you will probably have to open the file in a different app to work on it. Unlike DropBox the files are stored locally on the iPad. It can be used in conjunction with DropBox and other cloud services to download the files to the app, or you can use your home wi-fi network to connect to your computer and transfer them directly.

The main thing is to approach the iPad from an app perspective rather than the file perspective you are used to on a computer. In iOS apps own their files. It makes for a much more secure device (since apps can't infect other app's files), but it does take a little getting used to.

OP
S

SgtBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I DL the Dropbox and was able to access files set up on my MAC and then also on my iPAD as you indicated. The only issue is - Is there a way to change/correct data that I can read on my iPAD? Or must one make those changes only on the MAC. If I do the latter, the changes do reflect on the iPAD, but it would be neat to change the items on the iPAD. How would one go about that?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I DL the Dropbox and was able to access files set up on my MAC and then also on my iPAD as you indicated. The only issue is - Is there a way to change/correct data that I can read on my iPAD? Or must one make those changes only on the MAC. If I do the latter, the changes do reflect on the iPAD, but it would be neat to change the items on the iPAD. How would one go about that?

Are they Pages files or Word? Either way you need the correct app on your iPad to edit these. You would have to select the file in the Dropbox app and use the Open In... function to choose the correct app to open it in.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To expand on dhewson777's answer a bit:

It depends heavily on the app you chose to edit the file with on the iPad, and that will depend on the type of file you need to edit.

Some apps can download and save directly from and to DropBox. With apps that can not access DropBox directly you select the file in DropBox and choose to Open it in another app from there. When finished editing you would use the Open In option in that app (most can do this) to copy it back to DropBox where you will have the option to rename the file or change folders.

It's been a while since I've done this, but I believe you can save the new file over the top of the old one. If not, you''ll end up with new and old copies to manage.

This is something you have to solve individually for each kind of document/file you need to work with.

OP
S

SgtBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I have grasped the basic concept to where I can drag files on my MAC to the Dropbox and then they become accessible on my iPAD.

Now what app do I need to actually open a WORD file? I've been trying to get LibreOffice and/or Open Office onto my iPAD - with limited success. Could you elaborate on what (and how to do so) I need to do to actually go to my iPAD and open a Word document? I'm sure my questions are pretty basic, but this is all new to me even after reading a ton of stuff in the last few days and have confused myself - even more than usual! :eek:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pages is the Apple version of Word, but there are plenty of others in the App Store. Each have their own pros and cons, including how well they work with Dropbox. I personally have QuickOfficeHD, but it has now been replaced by a sub par product according to many.

OP
S

SgtBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I think I have most of it figured out - but still learning.

I DL the Quickoffice and installed it. Now I have both a Dropbox and the Quick office on the iPAD. I can write a Word document on my MAC, save it, then drag it to the Dropbox and it appears on my iPAD. I then made changes to the document on my iPAD and saved it so that the changes appear in my MAC Dropbox. It appears that it has to be saved to Quick Office and then again I have to open the file and then save it to the Dropbox for it to appear on my MAC.

A pretty neat feature - thanks for the advice and information.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts