What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New AppleID

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have lost the password of my appleid and don't even remember getting the infamous recovery key. Long story short, my appleid is lost.

The point is that I created a new Appleid, with a new email address etc, and I was about to signout of the account on my ipad, but then double checking on forums etc, it looks like there might be an issue with using the apps I bought and downloaded with my previous ID.

So the question is: Same device, bought apps with ID 1. Now wanting to login with ID 2, are the apps still available / usable / updatable??

Thanks for your help!

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have not signed out of the old appleid, I wonder if you could set up family sharing to your new ID? Just a thought, and may fall by requiring the lost password...

OP
P

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not even sure if logged in or out. If I look into the settings, I can see my AppleID and everything as if logged in, but anytime I try to do something like getting a new app it asks for the password, fails, and says my account is now locked.

I'm pretty sure setting family sharing will require the password, yes.

I'm thinking that the apps are on the device, so it should be fine, but I found many times that what seems logic to me is not how Apple works!
With that said, I don't see how losing a password and recovery key would result in a device being practically unusable for future purchases and updates...

Also, a few months ago, I went on a call with Apple support about getting the password reset, recovery key sent again etc.. which resulted in a ''no way'', and I remember that dude telling me that creating a new ID/account would be the best way. I don't remember hearing anything about the apps and their use after the switch though...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The apps, music, movies, ..., are connected to the Apple ID which was used to purchase them. They will stay on the iPad, as long as you don’t delete them, and it might also be possible to use them. If they have to be updated, they will ask for the password of the old Apple ID, though. If you set up your iPad as new, everything you’ve purchased with the previous Apple ID will disappear.

Just wondering: did you use the same account for your Apple ID and your iCloud ID?

OP
P

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your answer.

I never set any iCloud else than the 5GB you get right away, is it possible I don't have a password for that?

From your previous answer, no password and recovery key = Lost account, no possibility to update apps, probably no iOS update either? Basically that's almost a useless device. I'm not going to get into any sort of rant, after saying that Apple's nonsense on this one is through the roof....
Security should be a very high priority, of course, but if it gets in the way of user experience to the point where an entire device can be made obsolete just for the absence of a normal password recovery process, that is way beyond my understanding.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you use the free 5GB, it’s connected to an iCloud ID with a password, and if it’s the same as the Apple ID, you won’t be able to erase it to set it up as new.

If you don’t set it up as new at the moment, it will ask for your iCloud password sometime later, when you try restoring it, or signing out of the account.

It would be way better to visit the next Apple Retail Store, with proof that you own this device (billing), and tell them about your problem, in detail. They might be able to help.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help, do you know how that recovery key would have been communicated to me? I keep all emails from Apple and can't get it there. I found one where they say ''We have also provided you with a Recovery Key you can use if you ever forget your password or lose access to your trusted devices.''
How did they provide it?
I have a 'trusted device' i'm able to get specific codes on but that's not enough.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s possible to generate a new recovery key on your iPad. Go to Settings - your name - Password & Security. You might have to enter the password of your Apple ID.
If you can proceed, tap Recovery Key and turn it on.
Select “Use Recovery Key”, enter your passcode (the code you use when unlocking your device), and write down the recovery key.
I guess it will appear on your screen.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

''You might have to enter the password of your Apple ID.''

:]

so I actually need the recovery key in order to reset my AppleID password.

They've designed something to get a new recovery key, that will let you reset your AppleID password, where you're asked to enter your AppleID password, to get a new recovery key...

This is modern days Kafkaian administration.

The email i use as my AppleID is functional, I receive all Apple related emails there, including when I bought the apps I have on the Ipad etc..I also have an Android phone that is entered as a trusted device, where I can receive specific single use codes and what not.

But these are useless. No recovery key = no password. No password = No recovery key.

I must be missing something, about why it's like that... They can't have not thought this scenario wouldn't happen.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was the reason why my advice was to visit the next Apple Retail Store. I know that they helped in a few cases like yours. Just make sure you can prove that you purchased this iPad, and that you are the first owner.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just have one thing to say here. It is better with most technology to buy new rather than used. Although you can save money going the used route there is often something wrong with a used device which is often the reason why someone gets rid of it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just have one thing to say here. It is better with most technology to buy new rather than used. Although you can save money going the used route there is often something wrong with a used device which is often the reason why someone gets rid of it.
Many people sell their old devices because they bought a newer one. Those devices are often working perfectly although a buyer should check them out before purchase.

OP
P

Pomme pourrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's usually nothing wrong with used devices. If there is, up to the buyer to find out and keep their money instead.

My current device was bought used and there's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is that there's no easy password recovery process for an AppleID.

Most reactions

Latest posts