What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

netbook/laptop suggestion

t39charles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was gonna buy an ipad2 cuz i already had a netboook and it broke and i still have a Home pc. But after reading many threads, a netbook such as mac air seems to be as portable as ipad2 and more efficient to use for a student..
So, assuming that you all own an ipad or a netbook or laptop, can someone suggest me a portable laptop/netbook thats thin, durable, & has most features lik mac? But around 300$-600$ range? If none match the price and criteria, i think ill save up money in a couple months for a mac air.
Thanks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air and it is everything that you want, have you considered getting a used one, I've no idea what the prices are like where you are but if within your range I'm certain that you won't be disappointed.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think cheaper net books will have the features of an Air. Macs are more expensive for a reason. Worth it, but more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think as a student, a netbook is going to be much more practical for you than an iPad.
I would always stay with Mac over any windows netbook. If your thinking about the air, then go that bit further and get the smallest MacBook pro 13 inch, the specs are so much better than the air and it's small!! I'm sure you'd get one cheap second hand.

Last edited:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a college student finishing up my program. I graduated in 08 and started school again in 2010 to get my teaching license. Up until this semester, I had a laptop. At this point, my laptop is 4 years old, clunky, and with very minimal battery life. I hated carrying it around. Last November, I entered to win one of those Google Chromebook betas, and I was picked. So last fall and spring I had a netbook I carried around. Quick boot up time, light weight, great battery life. Now that I'm almost done with school, I wanted an iPad to both be portable enough for school and to be a laptop replacement (as much as it could be). Plus, my Android smartphone sucks so I wanted a "big iPhone" aka iOS apps on a big iPad screen. The iPad was a good fit for me, but as a full time college student I would definitely recommend a netbook for you.

Sorry that was so long winded!

OP
T

t39charles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for the suggestion guys, looks like ill have to collect some more money to get a used/new mac book 13" pro

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a 13" MBP over the weekend. 1,600+ bucks after taxes. You can get many netbooks much cheaper.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's important to distinguish between a "netbook" and a small "notebook" computer. The former term appeared several years ago to describe low power, low functionality devices, usually with a 10" or smaller screen. As the price of 11" and 13" laptops/notebooks have gone down, the traditional "netbook" has become less and less desirable. There are a host of 11"/13" and even 15" PC's available for about the same price as a loaded iPad, i.e. $700-$900. Dell sells their XPS15 (a 15" model) with an i5 processor for less than $700. Their Vostro 14" laptop goes for less than $600. Similar systems from Lenovo, Samsung, HP, etc. are competitive in terms of features and price. These a machines running the latest generation "Sandy Bridge" intel processors with fast hard disks, and excellent displays.

No disrespect intended for Apple laptops. They're very nice machines. But spec for spec for those on a budget, the Apple "tax" can run 50%.

OP
T

t39charles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
M hmm but i want something portable.. more than a bulky laptop

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, definitely realize I meant netbook when I said netbook, too, OP. The fact that the device is lower functioning is actually a major positive - they're light, have excellent battery life, and very quick start ups. All really positive qualities.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
t39charles said:
M hmm but i want something portable.. more than a bulky laptop

I have a HP netbook which is my daily dog. I pulled Windblows off of it and usually run some kind of Linux on it. Right now I am running ChromeOS Vanilla an it is pretty past, starts fast and none of the bloat of Win7. There are a lot of Linux distros that are great and free to put on a netbook and with Open Office and the GIMP Ithink you'd be all set for school. There are also bluetooth keyboard for iPad and there is an office app for iPad also so that's an option. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the office app.

Cheers

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still like netbooks, depending on use. I've always had Windows laptops, and also have had three netbooks over the years. The netbooks were good for on the go, because my laptops have always been heavy. The netbooks were less powerful, but I didn't need much computing power on the go usually. If I were still in school, I'd carry a netbook.

The MPB is my first Mac, and I don't like the interface so far. I might be too much of a Windows person to convert.

Most reactions