What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to Upgrade iOs before patch, but computer crashed HELP!

TitoLabido

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is a long shot...but I'd love some advice.
I found out that the jailbreakme.com exploit will be patched soon by Apple. I have been hanging back happily with my successful Spirit JB and didn't upgrade to iOs 4 with my iphone or 3.2.1 with my iPad.

I planned on doing it BUT MY LOGIC BOARD CRASHED IN MY MACBOOK PRO TWO DAYS AGO!! It's in the shop for a week and that is the only computer that my iPad and iPhone are synced with. I won't get it back until late next week and I fear that the exploit will be patched before I get my computer back. If it is patched and I try to upgrade to ios 4 and 3.2.1 when I get my computer back, it will automatically download the patched firmware instead of ios 4.01 and 3.2.1 and I will both lose my spirit JB and also the potential for jailbreak me.com.

I do have another computer (pc) but I don't want to sync with that since i would lose all my apps and goodies. Anyway to upgrade my firmware without losing everything using another computer?

I know its a long shot.

Best,
Tito

OP
T

TitoLabido

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah ok, I see. Am I going to have to do a full sync with that or will it just update the firmware?

Also, do I need to do a restore to wipe the spirit JB before upgrading the firmware?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Ah ok, I see. Am I going to have to do a full sync with that or will it just update the firmware?

Also, do I need to do a restore to wipe the spirit JB before upgrading the firmware?

No, just do an upade to 3.2.1.

if it prompts to sync just choose not to sync.

It will update you to 3.2.1 with all your apps and music etc still on the device. The ipad will no longer be jailbroken and all the jailbroken apps will be removed. Then just jailbreak with the JB site.

OP
T

TitoLabido

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is the jailbreak site still working? I was reading on some other forums that people were having problems with it.

Also, I assume this process will work just the same with my iphone 3gs 3.1.3 spirit jailbroken iPhone too?

Then when I get my computer back, I can just update to latest itunes and all should sync fine right?

Thanks for you help man!

Cheers,
Tito

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
is the jailbreak site still working? I was reading on some other forums that people were having problems with it.

Also, I assume this process will work just the same with my iphone 3gs 3.1.3 spirit jailbroken iPhone too?

Then when I get my computer back, I can just update to latest itunes and all should sync fine right?

Thanks for you help man!

Cheers,
Tito

yes it still works and yes you can do this with your iphone as well.

OP
T

TitoLabido

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but...when I do get my computer back, if the latest firmware is out with the patch, it will automatically download that when I update my iTunes from 9.1.1 to the latest right? And then it will force me to upgrade firmware if I want to sync.
hmm...this is getting complicated....(in my mind at least.)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
but...when I do get my computer back, if the latest firmware is out with the patch, it will automatically download that when I update my iTunes from 9.1.1 to the latest right? And then it will force me to upgrade firmware if I want to sync.
hmm...this is getting complicated....(in my mind at least.)

No it will not force you to do anything.

OP
T

TitoLabido

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks man you were a big help! I am successfully upgraded and rejailbroken on both my iPhone and iPad with zero problems.

You are my hero.

Tito

Most reactions

Latest posts