What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help With Sync. a PDF Ibook/iTunes

dm_fw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am helping my father get his new IPAD 2 running.

I am having two issues with a PDF Sync.

First, when I drop a PDF file on the Itunes (IPAD) books tab, it will NOT accept the drop, eg. it does not show up on the list. It does show up on the normal Itunes (library) Books tab.

Second, according to all of the online help I can find, I must "Enable the Sync Books check box in iTunes if it is not already checked". So where is this box?

I am running Itunes on a Mac, and the version is up to date.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With the iPad is connected to the computer, select the iPad under the Devices list in iTunes. Several page links will appear at the top. One of them is Books. This is where you will go to select what books and audiobooks (all or selected) will sync with the iPad. You can sync the entire Books library, or just selected books.

Books synced this way will appear in the iBooks app on the iPad. If you don't have it, go to the App Store and download it before trying to sync the books. It's a free app.

Adding the book to iTunes first is the right method, if you are going to sync books with iTunes at all.

You can add non-DRM ePub and PDF books directly to iBooks by emailing them to yourself, tap and holding on the attachment in Mail, and choosing to Open In iBooks; however these books often fail to sync back to iTunes and if you are ever forced to recover the iPad with iTunes you will probably lose them. Books purchased in the iBooks Store (found inside the iBooks app) can always be recovered by downloading them again (for free).

So, always make sure you have copies of your other books (or any other important files) either in iTunes or in some folder on your computer. Never keep them in just one place.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the iPad is connected to the computer, select the iPad under the Devices list in iTunes. Several page links will appear at the top. One of them is Books. This is where you will go to select what books and audiobooks (all or selected) will sync with the iPad. You can sync the entire Books library, or just selected books.

Books synced this way will appear in the iBooks app on the iPad. If you don't have it, go to the App Store and download it before trying to sync the books. It's a free app.

Adding the book to iTunes first is the right method, if you are going to sync books with iTunes at all.

You can add non-DRM ePub and PDF books directly to iBooks by emailing them to yourself, tap and holding on the attachment in Mail, and choosing to Open In iBooks; however these books often fail to sync back to iTunes and if you are ever forced to recover the iPad with iTunes you will probably lose them. Books purchased in the iBooks Store (found inside the iBooks app) can always be recovered by downloading them again (for free).

So, always make sure you have copies of your other books (or any other important files) either in iTunes or in some folder on your computer. Never keep them in just one place.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

If you email messages with PDF attachments, couldn't you keep the emails in a folder in case you needed to open them in iBooks again? Alternatively, you could keep copies in Dropbox or other services. Just depends on how much you want the PDF.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you email messages with PDF attachments, couldn't you keep the emails in a folder in case you needed to open them in iBooks again? Alternatively, you could keep copies in Dropbox or other services. Just depends on how much you want the PDF.

Yes, though I don't' think I'd want to clutter up my Mail app folders with big attachments like that. It might slow down mail syncing. You're better off using DropBox, as you suggested. I should have said "or in some cloud service". The point is not to have your only copy on the iPad; or any single device or service for that matter. If it's important, have it in at least two places.

iTunes, iBooks, and the Apps Store already do that for you through iCloud (does not include movies, audiobooks, or music videos). But the rest is up to you.

Most reactions

Latest posts