What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google sync?

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need help please, I've searched the forum, the web and can't find help for exactly what I am trying to do. Even the Google help pages about this didn't have the exact help for this or I couldn't find it.

I want my iPhone and iPad contacts, calendar and notes to sync with google so all three will have the same things.

I have all these enabled in my mail settings on the pad and the phone.

Problem is when I have them opened in iTunes and go to the "info" tab it won't show "google contacts" on the drop down menu where you check the box and configure it.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Need help please, I've searched the forum, the web and can't find help for exactly what I am trying to do. Even the Google help pages about this didn't have the exact help for this or I couldn't find it.

I want my iPhone and iPad contacts, calendar and notes to sync with google so all three will have the same things.

I have all these enabled in my mail settings on the pad and the phone.

Problem is when I have them opened in iTunes and go to the "info" tab it won't show "google contacts" on the drop down menu where you check the box and configure it.

Oh and I'm hoping for the syncing to occur wirelessly as I've heard it can do.

Dang! When are they finally going to make MobileMe free?!?! It will be so simple then.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured out that configuring Google on iTunes is only to do it wired as opposed to wireless. I have tried to get it to work through the Cal Dev way but it's still not. I am getting closer though I know. Can anyone give me any further direction?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
If all your contacts are in Google, then why importing in iTunes? The iPhone can manage the contacts directly on google with a Google account. As for the iPad 1, you need to create an Exchange account but with the server as m.google.com. The Google account only does mail, calendar and notes. Strange...

Anyway, this means that all your devices will manage the same source, being Google. Any modification will be updated on each device almost instantly. As for your computer, simply use the webpage of Google in your browser. If you must absolutely use a mail client and it cannot connect to googles contact, you can export your contact list from the google page into a csv file or an outlook file.

But a tip of advice, synching always ends up in messing up your contacts. I've been trying to do this over the years between Palms, Outlook, Evolution and cell phones. Now with the arrival of the iPhone, I changed to the client/server mode meaning that my main source is Google itself and all my devices and softwares are connecting to that server as clients.

This way, no duplication or loss...

Same goes for calendar...

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
If all your contacts are in Google, then why importing in iTunes? The iPhone can manage the contacts directly on google with a Google account. As for the iPad 1, you need to create an Exchange account but with the server as m.google.com. The Google account only does mail, calendar and notes. Strange...

Anyway, this means that all your devices will manage the same source, being Google. Any modification will be updated on each device almost instantly. As for your computer, simply use the webpage of Google in your browser. If you must absolutely use a mail client and it cannot connect to googles contact, you can export your contact list from the google page into a csv file or an outlook file.

But a tip of advice, synching always ends up in messing up your contacts. I've been trying to do this over the years between Palms, Outlook, Evolution and cell phones. Now with the arrival of the iPhone, I changed to the client/server mode meaning that my main source is Google itself and all my devices and softwares are connecting to that server as clients.

This way, no duplication or loss...

Same goes for calendar...

Okay. Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Another question though. When I was trying all this I went to the mail settings on my iPhone and went to "other" and did the CalDev settings with my Google account. Now I think that is messing up or duplicating the syncing somehow. Can anyone tell me how to delete the CalDev and not be associated with it at all?

I don't see how to do it and could not find out with searching.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
totemynote said:
Okay. Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Another question though. When I was trying all this I went to the mail settings on my iPhone and went to "other" and did the CalDev settings with my Google account. Now I think that is messing up or duplicating the syncing somehow. Can anyone tell me how to delete the CalDev and not be associated with it at all?

I don't see how to do it and could not find out with searching.

Simply go into the account and scroll to the bottom, and you should have "Delete this account". This will unlink your account and remove events from your calendar at the same time, keeping other events from google account.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is becoming a nightmare. Now when anybody calls me and the call goes to voice mail it goes to google voice not my AT&T numbers voicemail.

I finally got so frustrated I deleted my entire Google account, not just mail but the whole account and everything associated with it. And the calls are STILL going to Google Voices voice mail.

I am at a loss.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found out I had to stop something called "conditional call forwarding" and got it done by calling AT&T. Now my voicemail goes where I want it. I give up on the syncing thing. I'll wait for MobileMe to become free later this year.

Carlloch90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is what i did (syncing 1 x laptop, 2 x google accounts(mine and my wifes) and 1 x ipad.

i will take that you should know how to set up accounts on all devices but if not let me know.

1.Setup 2 google accounts and sync those accounts together.
2.Download google sync for your Pc and sync it to one of the google acounts.
3.Using caldev on the ipad create an account to link to one of your goggle accounts.
4. sync accounts using this link https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect
5. On your ipad under settings go to your calendar and choose gmail as default account.

it's very important that u choose gmail calendar account on the ipad or it will not work.

this will work and now no matter where i put a event in the calendar on either account it will sync over the 4 devices.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is what i did (syncing 1 x laptop, 2 x google accounts(mine and my wifes) and 1 x ipad.

i will take that you should know how to set up accounts on all devices but if not let me know.

1.Setup 2 google accounts and sync those accounts together.
2.Download google sync for your Pc and sync it to one of the google acounts.
3.Using caldev on the ipad create an account to link to one of your goggle accounts.
4. sync accounts using this link https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect
5. On your ipad under settings go to your calendar and choose gmail as default account.

it's very important that u choose gmail calendar account on the ipad or it will not work.

this will work and now no matter where i put a event in the calendar on either account it will sync over the 4 devices.

Thanks so much for that info. Helped me get it finally get it the way I wanted it to work.

Most reactions

Latest posts