What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with iCloud mail setup

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an app in the app store and was looking for some kind of receipt. Found information that said open my iPad mail app and look for any mail from my iCloud mail account. I found that if I select the iCloud icon that I then next need to log in using my Apple credentials. I did that and all I get is a message telling me that my account is already set up but that is as far as it will go. I never get to the mail client at all. What am I overlooking here?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You’ll receive an email with your receipt after purchasing an app/movie/music,... in the built in Mail app, most of the time not immediately after purchasing it.

Since you’ve already set up the iCloud account, it works this way:
To find your receipt, open the Mail app. If more than one account is set up, it will look something like this:
BAA048D4-3819-4367-9057-AF46A301B698.jpeg

Tap the iCloud account, to view the emails there. As soon as the invoice arrives, you’ll find it here:
7BBB3AF6-FAB0-4DB9-8EAB-00CF847B370C.jpeg

Logging in shouldn’t be necessary.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You’ll receive an email with your receipt after purchasing an app/movie/music,... in the built in Mail app, most of the time not immediately after purchasing it.

Since you’ve already set up the iCloud account, it works this way:
To find your receipt, open the Mail app. If more than one account is set up, it will look something like this:
View attachment 81527
Tap the iCloud account, to view the emails there. As soon as the invoice arrives, you’ll find it here:
View attachment 81528
Logging in shouldn’t be necessary.

Thank you for that extensive reply but the main problem that I have with this is that I am not getting to my mailbox or inbox. I am told that I have an iCloud account only and I am not seeing any of the screens that you attached here. I hope that makes sense. When I open the mail app I get a list of available mail clients including iCloud, When I tap the iCloud icon I get a login pop up screen. Then, when I enter my login ID and password I get another pop up screen that tells me that my login ID is already added and that is as far as it goes. I'm totally stumped on this.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it looks like this:
View attachment 81530
go to the Settings app, select Accounts & Passwords, select iCloud and enable Mail:
View attachment 81531

Thanks for that suggestion. I checked and all of that is on already. FYI, The iPad Mini 4 that I have is the A1550 model with cellular. I am not using the cellular capabilities at all. I am assuming that I can connect the mail app via WiFi. Also, the only screen I can get to is the one you pictured as "If you can see this" screen.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion. I checked and all of that is on already. FYI, The iPad Mini 4 that I have is the A1550 model with cellular. I am not using the cellular capabilities at all. I am assuming that I can connect the mail app via WiFi. Also, the only screen I can get to is the one you pictured as "If you can see this" screen.
You’re right. It doesn‘t matter whether or not you use the cellular feature. As soon as you enable Mail in your settings (the Settings app) for an account, the screen in the Mail app won‘t show the option to set up an account, and it shouldn‘t ask for your login details.

Make sure Mail is enabled for the iCloud account (in the Settings app, not in the built in Mail app). The icon next to it has to be green, otherwise the you have to slide the button so that it looks like this:
C6B8484A-07D9-4283-ACE7-6BD4EA16354D.jpeg

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You’re right. It doesn‘t matter whether or not you use the cellular feature. As soon as you enable Mail in your settings (the Settings app) for an account, the screen in the Mail app won‘t show the option to set up an account, and it shouldn‘t ask for your login details.

Make sure Mail is enabled for the iCloud account (in the Settings app, not in the built in Mail app). The icon next to it has to be green, otherwise the you have to slide the button so that it looks like this:
View attachment 81532

I do have that turned on and I made a tiny bit of progress in that I clicked on my name/profile tab in settings and then I clicked on the iCloud tab which gives me a list of the apps that are using iCloud. I see that the mail switch is off. When I turn it on, I am prompted with "Turn On Mail" and I tap the "Create" button which takes me to a popup for "New iCloud Email". I enter my desired email name and hit "Next". The next popup looks like a confirmation and so I tap the Next button again only to get a warning popup stating "Problem Turning On Mail" and that is as far as I get this time. As I back out of all of the iCloud setup screens and get back to the iCloud settings, I see that the Mail switch is back in the OFF position again. I cannot make it stay on. Next?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds weird. When iCloud is set up, all you‘d have to do is enable Mail.

Try signing out of the iCloud account, and then in again. Before signing out, you‘ll have to turn off „Find my iPad“ if it‘s enabled, and enter your iCloud ID password.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the App/Music/iBooks Store does not always send out receipts immediatly. There appears to be an amount trigger for immediate receipts, other wise you’ll get the receipt after a few days, often combined with any other purchases you’ve made over that period. I think the trigger amount is around $10.

You can check your purchases by going to the App Store, tapping on your account icon at the top left (picture or your initials usually), tapping on your account (your name at top), your password as requested, then choosing Purchase History.

Notice that the Purchase History has a Pending section. This is your as yet unbilled not receipted purchases. Older purchases are grouped by receipt/bill. This is the first time I’ve seen this. Nice.

Not that this helps with your current email issues.

76E569AA-5B79-4DEC-A9D8-3D494D724817.jpeg

6926395D-9DDD-44B8-8BD9-6BDC988493F3.png

3DAB585D-65C7-4BC5-B149-C3778DB0D73F.png

A0B81A35-89E7-4E56-90E1-B846E67E60F5.png

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds weird. When iCloud is set up, all you‘d have to do is enable Mail.

Try signing out of the iCloud account, and then in again. Before signing out, you‘ll have to turn off „Find my iPad“ if it‘s enabled, and enter your iCloud ID password.

Thank you so much for your time and instructions. That last suggestion of signing out and back in did the trick. I did learn a lot in the process anyway so I benefited in this adventure in a lot of ways. And thank you for your patience as well. ;)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your time and instructions. That last suggestion of signing out and back in did the trick. I did learn a lot in the process anyway so I benefited in this adventure in a lot of ways. And thank you for your patience as well. ;)
Glad to help. :)

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the App/Music/iBooks Store does not always send out receipts immediatly. There appears to be an amount trigger for immediate receipts, other wise you’ll get the receipt after a few days, often combined with any other purchases you’ve made over that period. I think the trigger amount is around $10.

You can check your purchases by going to the App Store, tapping on your account icon at the top left (picture or your initials usually), tapping on your account (your name at top), your password as requested, then choosing Purchase History.

Notice that the Purchase History has a Pending section. This is your as yet unbilled not receipted purchases. Older purchases are grouped by receipt/bill. This is the first time I’ve seen this. Nice.

Well at least I got my email problem straightened out after the sign out and in procedure. I do appreciate you showing me how to check my receipts in the app store. I set up my app purchases through PayPal and I got that receipt almost immediately. I finally got the app receipt from Apple this afternoon.

Most reactions

Latest posts