What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help Updating IOS for the Wifey

davetrev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pardon me for my ignorance! I don't get to touch the ipad to much, but I want to update the IOs so she can use ebook. She has IOS 4.2.1 and when I try to get an update in the app store all I see are manuals for using updates. Can anyone help? Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest and best way to upgrade the iPad is to connect it to your iTunes and, after making a backup first (just in case), click on the Upgrade button. iTunes will do its "magic" and, after a few prompted inputs from you, you will end up with an iPad running the latest firmware.

Just be aware that the first generation iPad can only go up to iOS 5.1.1. The second, and subsequent, generation iPad will/can go to the most current iOS - iOS 6.1.3.

Hope that helps. Holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

P.S. And where are my manners?! Welcome to the forum! It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visit(s).

Last edited:
OP
davetrev

davetrev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest and best way to upgrade the iPad is to connect it to your iTunes and, after making a backup first (just in case), click on the Upgrade button. iTunes will do its "magic" and, after a few prompted inputs from you, you will end up with an iPad running the latest firmware.

Just be aware that the first generation iPad can only go up to iOS 5.1.1. The second, and subsequent, generation iPad will/can go to the most current iOS - iOS 6.1.3.

Hope that helps. Holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

P.S. And where are my manners?! Welcome to the forum! It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visit(s).

Thanks Mikey! It's good to know the ipad only goes to 5.1.1, but I'm having a problem finding any upgrade button! I've looked in iTunes, iPod, and even updated her apps but can't find anything to update in iTunes. Also checked settings and nothing. Any advice?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Mikey! It's good to know the ipad only goes to 5.1.1, but I'm having a problem finding any upgrade button! I've looked in iTunes, iPod, and even updated her apps but can't find anything to update in iTunes. Also checked settings and nothing. Any advice?

Are you looking at iTunes on the computer while the ipad is connected to it via USB?

Most reactions