What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help JB'ing an iPad 1 on 5.1.1

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If someone would be so kind would you please direct me to where I can find out how to JB my iPad I on 5.1.1. I have experience JB iPhones. Just have never done an iPad.
I assume it's safe, that is I can do a restore if I need to???
Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone would be so kind would you please direct me to where I can find out how to JB my iPad I on 5.1.1. I have experience JB iPhones. Just have never done an iPad.
Thanks.

Here' same link to a forum post describing jail break methods for the iPad1: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

When you go to the link, you'll find that you can pick from three different jail breaking tools: Absinthe, redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze. Any of these will work fine (I've used Absinthe and redsn0w with ease before). So, just pick the one you'd like to use, they'll all have the same affect.

Yes, it's safe. And, yes, you can always restore to iOS 5.1.1 whenever you wish. In fact, you can restore and ail break over and over as iOS 5.1.1 is the highest iOS for the iPad 1 and so it will always be jail breakable.

So, have fun and enjoy! :)

Marilyn

OP
X

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I assume these are untethered jailbreaks right?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I assume these are untethered jailbreaks right?

Sure are!

And, from my past experience, it's a very stable jail break. Just don't install tweaks you haven't checked to verify to run on an iPad. A lot of tweaks are written only for the iPhone and so will not work on the iPad.

If I may, I suggest you have a look at this list of tweaks we've found to work great on the iPad: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

That outta get you started. :)

Marilyn

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hi XDRoX, this may assist in your deliberations. But some careful reading will be necessary. If you have the original iPad1 you will be able to restore but not upgrade to a version above 5.1.1
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html
Andrew

EDIT: I'm much too slow. Thanks Marilyn, and I hope my post does not lead astray.

Last edited:

Most reactions