What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need an app to present jpg images

Lyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need an app that will help me present a series of jpeg images.

Using Apple's Digital AV Adapter I'll be connecting my iPad Air to the HDMI of a big screen TV, what I want is:
- display the jpg on the TV
- sort the images on the iPad, ie create a sequence I'd like to show them in
- ideally have some scroll bar showing what images would be ahead or behind the current one in the sequence, in case I want to jump around a little
- turn off the TV display (or the iPad's display too), because I'll only show one or two jpg's at a time, then talk
- match the size and aspect ratio to the TV

I don't need a powerpoint type of blending from one image to the next, or have my jpgs necessarily embedded in one file that I'd use powerpoint (etc) to control. Just the camera viewer would almost work, but for some of the other requirements. If powerpoint, keynote, justperfect, etc is needed, though, so be it.

Thanks to all for any advice....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd use Keynote, because it's free, file compatible with PowerPoint and will do everything you want.

I haven't used it myself, but I assume it will have the same sort of presenter options as PowerPoint so you can have notes on your iPad version that won't show on the TV.

Another possibility is to use AppleTV to mirror the display of your iPad onto the TV. You won't get the slideshow functionality you are looking for with this approach, though.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Lyle - first, I agree w/ Kevin that Keynote may serve your purposes - I've used the app on my iPad for years but mainly to make composite slides for posting (many on this forum). Second, the Photos app in iOS has a primitive 'slideshow' feature, e.g. the first image below shows an 'album' in my Photos app; notice the 'Slideshow' choice (arrow) - the show is running on the second image and there are a few options at the bottom (arrow) - probably will not satisfy all of your needs, but maybe worth a try? Dave :)
IMG_6877.PNG
IMG_6878.PNG

OP
L

Lyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both (got to figure out how to send official thankyou via the forum).

Looked to me like Keynote was ~$10, but not a big issue. I grabbed JustPerfect for $3 to test, but will try Keynote too if I need to.

The Photos app on the iPad could indeed work. Not sure how to upload jpg's to it, keep a folder of my show's images, or sort them in the order I want, though. The preview slider at the bottom lets you move back & forth, but too small to see what the images actually are.

Whatever tool I settle on, blanking the HDMI output once I'm finished talking about a slide may be tricky, but I guess I can use the TV remote to disable/blank the display.

Thanks again...Lyle

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both (got to figure out how to send official thankyou via the forum).

Looked to me like Keynote was ~$10, but not a big issue. I grabbed JustPerfect for $3 to test, but will try Keynote too if I need to.

The Photos app on the iPad could indeed work. Not sure how to upload jpg's to it, keep a folder of my show's images, or sort them in the order I want, though. The preview slider at the bottom lets you move back & forth, but too small to see what the images actually are.

Whatever tool I settle on, blanking the HDMI output once I'm finished talking about a slide may be tricky, but I guess I can use the TV remote to disable/blank the display.

Hi again Lyle - the iOS Photos app is fine for a basic slideshow; as to getting 'photos' onto your iPad, take a look at this Photo Transfer Post that I left in the forum about a year ago (checkout #6). These photos will appear in your 'Camera Roll', you can then make an album and transfer images for your presentation - problem might be in ordering the photos which is easy to do in Keynote.

As to Keynote, let me show you some of its features w/ a small 4-slide presentation I just made on my iPad Air 2 - first image shows the left slide bar - these can be easily re-arranged (by holding & moving); second pic, the 'Tools Menu' has been opened - note the 'Presentation Tools' option, which is shown in the third image; the last pic shows 'Full Screen Mode' which would fill the iPad by hiding the left slide bar.

Finally, you may want to visit the iPad App Store and search on 'slide show' - I found plenty of hits, so do some research on the more promising apps - I've not used any, so cannot provide a recommendation. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)
Keynote1.PNG
Keynote2.PNG
Keynote3.PNG
Keynote4.PNG

OP
L

Lyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, everyone.

I tried JustPerfect and Haiku but just couldn't get up to speed fast enough. Keynote, and a bit of fiddling around, and I think I'm on the road.

The only downside is there doesn't appear to be much help available. No keynote forum that I've found, and what info Google finds is generally for a Mac or someone using an iPad and a Mac. There's help within the app, but that's all I've really found.

Anyway, my presentation for this weekend should come off fine, thanks to help from this forum....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.....Keynote, and a bit of fiddling around, and I think I'm on the road.

The only downside is there doesn't appear to be much help available. No keynote forum that I've found....

Anyway, my presentation for this weekend should come off fine, thanks to help from this forum....

Hi Lyle - well, I've given you some initial pointers, but have not really done what you are planning (NOW, I was a radiology professor for 34 years at Wake Forest Medical Center, and made numerous PowerPoint presentations for my many lectures, SO some background).

But I agree that there is often little online help for these iOS apps - as you probably know Keynote is part of Apple's iWork Suite (also includes Pages & Numbers) - there are books on this suite, some good and others not so, and the versions have changed - at present, I have the one below on my iPad Air 2 (published in early 2014) - all 3 apps are covered for both OS X and iOS - the price may be steep for you if the only purpose is to use Keynote in iOS - not much else that I can offer at the moment. Please keep us informed - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.38.04 PM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts