What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice for keyboard idea

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a 9.7 inch iPad Pro yesterday. After doing some research I have found that the Smart Keyboard drains the iPad Pro battery a bit due to the keyboard transferring data and power through the iPad's smart connector. The Apple Magic Keyboard (Bluetooth data transfer) is much cheaper, but I'm wondering if the magic keyboard will work with the new iPad Pro devices. If it will work, I think I will buy the magic keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard. I also wonder if having Bluetooth engaged on the iPad Pro will run the battery down just as much as the Smart Keyboard would.

Anyone have any advice about this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a 9.7 inch iPad Pro yesterday. After doing some research I have found that the Smart Keyboard drains the iPad Pro battery a bit due to the keyboard transferring data and power through the iPad's smart connector. The Apple Magic Keyboard (Bluetooth data transfer) is much cheaper, but I'm wondering if the magic keyboard will work with the new iPad Pro devices. If it will work, I think I will buy the magic keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard. I also wonder if having Bluetooth engaged on the iPad Pro will run the battery down just as much as the Smart Keyboard would.

Anyone have any advice about this?
The Magic Keyboard is compatible with your iPad Pro and almost any iOS device. Some of the function keys may not work, though. Both the Magic Keyboard and the Smart Keyboard will have a small additional drain on the iPad battery. Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Keyboard compatibility with iOS devices - Apple Support

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I went into Best Buy to look for a keyboard. And, this was the last smart keyboard they had:

image.jpeg

Score!

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I quite like the Smart Keyboard, though I'll have to get used to the smaller typing area.

Tip: hold down the Command key in different apps, it shows app-specific shortcuts! Even the home screen has shortcuts.

Most reactions