What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Keyboard

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that has puzzled me for years about my trusty iPad Air is the keyboard that regularly shows up on my desktop. I have never been able to identify an action which calls up this keyboard and I have never been able to figure out what use it might be. Just a tap on the screen and it goes away.

Would someone please enlighten me?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The keyboard generally shows up when there is an editable text field selected. Most often you will have tapped on that text field, but sometimes the system or app will automatically select the text field for you.

Editable text fields do not have to be big blocks for text entry, like you have here. They can be username fields, password fields, the browser's URL bar, and many other small fields for entering data.

Tapping outside that editable field will normally dismiss the keyboard, though occasionally it won't go away. That can happen when you have a mandatory entry, like a password.

If you are seeing something else, please try taking a screenshot so we can make a better guess. Before you post any screenshots, make sure there is no personal data showing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, you also said desktop. So perhaps you are talking about the search screen. You get this by swiping down from near the top of the screen. There will a a search entry field above the keyboard. Enter anything and it will start guessing what you want. This can be apps, documents, contacts, and just about anything else on your iPad.

You control what is indexed and searchable in Settings > Siri & Search (in iPadOS 15). It might be hiding somewhere else in earlier OS versions. I don't remember.

Keep in mind it's a short swipe, about half screen, and not from the very top. That gets you an entirely different screen,.

Most reactions