What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Music, is it gone?

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,
I have 1200 songs on my iPod 4th Gen and on my Tiger OSx 4.11 Mac's( Itunes 9.2.1.) How can I get the music to,my new iPad2 with the new retina display. It's a 32 GB and wireless.

dmspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If all your music is in iTunes, just sync/move it to your iPad via iTunes sync or any other syncing program

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but I will need to know how and what to connect with. My systems If you mighty check, are not compatible!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need to upgrade that iTunes account to the newest version (10.6). Then, you can plug the iPad into it and sync any/all songs that are in iTunes across to it.

If the songs that are on your iPod are not in iTunes, and they weren't purchased through iTunes, then you'll have to get some sort of third party software to get those songs loaded into iTunes (without losing them off the iPod).

As you can see, the main key is to have all the songs in iTunes. That's the program you need to use to get the songs onto the I
Ad. You can't connect the iPad to the iPod. You've got to use iTunes as the intermediary.

Marilyn

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,
All the songs are in "ITunes 9.2.1", and I cannot update since I am the last Tiger System before Intel OS x 10.4.11 and stuck there. I did explain that at the first.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the iPad2, according to what I read, has to have iTunes 10.2 as a minimum in order to be able to sync.

Other than getting a remote desktop app so you can mirror that Mac to the iPad or (maybe) setting up home sharing, I'm sorry, but I know of no other way to get your music to the iPad2.

Marilyn

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Match?....If you mean the same, yes. The iTTune sin my iPod match my Mac exactly. The iPod Music and my Tiger, OS X 10.4.11 Mac iTunes (9.2.1) Music are the same and are quite compatible.
Howe about a flashdrive with my music througha camera connection. I don't however know
if "Jailbreak" is there or how to do it without damage. Hey guys, the fact is I'm 80 and not too swift on that!

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No I was talking about a service on the iCloud, but your iTunes is too old to use the service.

I think your only options are:

1. Wait for the iPad jailbreak (apparently wi-fi models will get it in a week or so)
2. Upgrade your mac to something compatible with iTunes 10.x.
3. Buy a pc.

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I guess that is it. Jailbreak looks good. Now I need to know what all this business is with IPad 2 and iPad 3 and generations of each. I thought that the new Retina iPad was the second and latest and third generation. Why is there #3. There seems to be confusion as to three and two and generations. Can this be sorted out?

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's the original iPad, then the iPad 2, and now the "new" iPad. For some reason, they decided not to use the numbering system this time around. Though, if you have the retina display model, it's the new iPad you have, not the iPad 2.

After reading how you were stuck, I did some research and discovered that it's a common problem, even for people whose macs are only three or four years old. I'd been thinking that my next computer purchase might be heading toward Apple, but that puts me off a little (much to the delight of my IT Guy/husband).

Would something like Dropbox be an option for this? I've used it for documents and e-books, but haven't tried music.

Most reactions

Latest posts