What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad Speaker suddenly has gone very low in volume...Can Anyone help?

nnmathur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The speaker of my iPad 3 has all of a sudden gone substantially down in volume. I have already reset it once but have not reverted to its original. Please suggest what can be done to restore the speaker to its original volume.

Navneet

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The speaker of my iPad 3 has all of a sudden gone substantially down in volume. I have already reset it once but have not reverted to its original. Please suggest what can be done to restore the speaker to its original volume. Navneet
Hi, welcome to iPF!

As I'm not quite certain about the way you performed a reset, I ask you to do it again, this way: press and hold Home and power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release them. Your iPad should turn on on it's own.

Also restart your device: turn it off, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.

If this doesn't help, take a look at your settings:

In Settings - General - Accessibility - Hearing make sure Mono Audio is disabled.
In Settings - Sounds look at Ringer & Alerts. See if "Change with Buttons" is enabled.
In Settings - Music - Volume Limit should be set to Off.

Last edited:
OP
N

nnmathur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for a quick reply Johanna. I shall try this and update you. Thanks once again.

Navneet

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If this doesn't work, don't hesitate to ask again. This is a very friendly, helpful forum. Someone will certainly be willing to help solve your problem.

Oldfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came here for exactly this same reason. The sound from my iPad has suddenly become pathetically quiet. I've tried all thes things. Still almost inaudible. Do I sennd it back?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

First, try the following:

Open an app to play sound/music, open the Control Center (slide upwards from the bottom) and try to adjust the volume using the slider at the left:
image.jpg

Turn off Bluetooth in Settings - Bluetooth.

If your iPad is in a case, make sure the speakers are not covered by it.

Use a brush to clean speakers and connector. Do this cautiously. Use a clean and dry brush with soft bristles.

Hope that helps.

Oldfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You took me by surprise by your fast reply!
I should have said that I usually play sound through external, Bluetooth speakers but had tried my iPad with both internal and external speakers - both were quiet.
I have turned off Bluetooth and my internal speakers are back to full volume. Thanks!
Now I just have to work out how to get my iPad to drive my Bluetooth speakers!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you know the reason for your low Volume, just remember to turn off Bluetooth when you want to use the speakers of your iPad, and turn it on again when you use the Bluetooth speakers. :)

Graesea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

First, try the following:

Open an app to play sound/music, open the Control Center (slide upwards from the bottom) and try to adjust the volume using the slider at the left:
View attachment 60928

Turn off Bluetooth in Settings - Bluetooth.

If your iPad is in a case, make sure the speakers are not covered by it.

Use a brush to clean speakers and connector. Do this cautiously. Use a clean and dry brush with soft bristles.

Hope that helps.

Graesea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disabling blue tooth means that the $100 Apple pencil is also disabled. You're saying that the expensive iPad Pro I recently bought does not function with the superior sound quality of its marketing when I use the Apple pencil?

The expensive pencil that I waited 6 weeks to get because Apple saw no need to bundle the 2 items together?

Seriously?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Disabling blue tooth means that the $100 Apple pencil is also disabled. You're saying that the expensive iPad Pro I recently bought does not function with the superior sound quality of its marketing when I use the Apple pencil?

The expensive pencil that I waited 6 weeks to get because Apple saw no need to bundle the 2 items together?

Seriously?
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The member above had problems with sound because the iPad had been connected to bluetooth speakers. If you wish to use the iPad Pro with it's built in speakers, you don't have to disable Bluetooth, and the Apple Pencil will not quit working.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As an alternative to turning off Bluetooth on the iPad, you can always turn off the bluetootth speakers instead. Unless you've got some kind of multi-source bluetooth speakers than need to be on all the time, that's usually the best choice.

Hold in mind the orginial question was from 2013. Things have changed a bit. These days it should be possible to pull up the Control Panel, choose AirPlay, and switch between the local speakers and other connected bluetooth or networked speakers. I can on my iPhone anyway. I don't have any bluetooth speakers paired with the iPad Pro to test.

Zisha Greenberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem end I don't have bleuthoot enabled on mi device I've tried to change every single setting nothing helped me

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem end I don't have bleuthoot enabled on mi device I've tried to change every single setting nothing helped me
Welcome to iPadForums!

If this is caused by a setting, reset all settings. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Reset all Settings". See if that helps getting back the sound.
This reset will set back your settings to default, so everything you've changed before, will be back to it's original setting. This includes Wi-Fi, e.g. You'll have to go through the Settings app afterwards, to get back your preferences.

Most reactions