What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad is the iPad What?

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have an iPad-2,Well I still have it but I just got a new iPad. (And I find it nice, useful and fun.) As well as iPad-2 I at least knew about the iPad 1, 3 and 4, as well as the iPad mini, pro, Air, &c.

In the store they just told me this is the current iPad of the type most resembling your old I.e. not a Mini nor a Pro which is more like a computer. But they didn’t give it any name like those above. On the sales receipt just says iPad Wi-Fi, but all the iPads have Wi-Fi and then it says the GB and the colour but all the Apple and Mac devices would have that.

However on the carcass I can read ‘Model A1B32’.So now I know what to say when anyone asks me what model is it, as they are bound to do whenever I have a question.

Is this a model so new that there isn’t a forum on it yet?

Sounds a bit odd that the models go 1, 2, 3, 4, A13B2 :confused:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and congrats on your new iPad - Apple's current iPad offerings include the Mini, Pro, and iPad, the latter plain and simple - some call the device the 5th generation or iPad 5 (some discussion HERE) - in the Wiki diagram below, I've circled the device you likely purchased - your 'model number' is incorrect (note in the table, the 'iPad' is A1822 for Wi-Fi only & A1823 for Wi-Fi/Cellular) - for another check, go into Settings -> General -> About; your model and serial number will be listed there. Hope this helps - Dave :)

P.S. click the image for a larger view.
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 1.55.36 PM.png

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Besides the small print on the back, and the label on the box, Apple has made it easier to check your model number on the iPad. Go to Settings > General > About. If you tap on the Model number entry it switches back and forth between the ML and A series model numbers. The model number begining with A is the public facing ID. I’m not sure what the ML number is, but it probably has to do with some internal manufacturing/tracking.

You used to have to dig into the Regulatory and Licensing info to find the A series model numbers; where you can still find it if you like.

Also, I don’t see any Modle A1832 iPads. Is it possible (besides replacing the 8 with a B) you reversed the last two digits? The newest (non-Pro) cellular capable iPad is the A1823. As Johanna said, Apple referes to it as the 5th genreation. They seem to cosider the iPad Air models a different series; Air 1 and Air 2.

Identify your iPad model

Last edited:

Most reactions