What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad is cold...

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed lately how the back of my ipad is cold. My room is a little drafty but its not that cold, i'm just afraid that its not good for my ipad to be that cold. Since i read that the ipad is sopposed be stored at at certain room temp. My question is how do I keep my ipad in a warmer condition even when my apartment is drafty?

rainman4tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have been having the same discussion just today. Your iPad has a metal case that will conduct (pull) heat from your body and therefore feel cold. In the house or apartment walk barefoot from a room with carpet to another with wood or tile and notice how much colder the hard floor feels than the carpet. Just for fun of it check the temperature of the different floors you will find that they are within 1 or 2 degrees of each other. I'll bet if you can live in the house in relative comfort your iPad will be OK.
Rainman

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyone who is worried about this has too much time on ones hands. You need to move on and get a life dude :)

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My question is how do I keep my ipad in a warmer condition even when my apartment is drafty?

The iPad's minimum operating temperature is 32*F - surely your place isn't that cold. If so you've got nothing to worry about.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is certainly better than the person who gets an electrical shock when they touch their iPad!

Seriously, I would be more worried if it felt like it was overheating.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Scott RI: Still trying desperately to make new friends, hey? You must be fun at a party. Your party - I doubt you get invited to many parties by other folks.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With extreme temperatures, my concern would be around condensation (i.e. water moisture forming on cold surfaces), especially in a solid-state device like the iPad without an internal fan.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With extreme temperatures, my concern would be around condensation (i.e. water moisture forming on cold surfaces), especially in a solid-state device like the iPad without an internal fan.

It's not just the temperature - it's the humidity, and the relative differences of temperature. High humidity requires very little temp differences. Converse is also true.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the humidity is less of a concern for me because in many cold environments, humidity tends to be low anyway (water vapour tends to condense as frost or dew when it hits the ground and loses energy.)

mutts2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "cold", but mine is also cool (in more ways than 1).

I actually like this. After years of sitting with laptops that "overheat", it's nice to see this cool effect.

Another + for Apple !

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is cold too!

I think I should get it a winter case! :D

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attachments

• image-3042482264.jpg
    image-3042482264.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 257

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The case of the iPad is made from aluminium, which has a thermal conductivity of 250 W/mK. (By comparison, stainless steel is 16.0, glass is about 1.0, and wood is about 0.1.) That means it would usually be cool/cold to the touch, as most metals would be.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The room my ipad stays in most of the time is 50-55 so if mine works still, yours should be fine lol

Most reactions

Latest posts