What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ipad 3 drops wifi - help

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need someone to talk to.....

Sometimes recently, maybe late August, my Ipad 3 started to drop wifi connection.

i was surfing the web, and then I closed the app. In the next momenet I opened Applestore, to update my Twitter app.... and found that I was not on net "no internet connection".

In the beginng of this problem, i rebooted my Ipad and then of course it went on Wifi. And worked perfect for some hours, but then the tha same happened again.

Nowadays I do the following, I click on "forget this network" and the login again. Evrything perfect for a while, unntil it drops the wifi connection again.

I have no idea where to start to find what is wrong. no idea at all, maybe a friendly tip can help me on my search.
(no ios 7 yet, my 6.1 cydia setup is so fantastically perfect, I simply dont have the time to wipe it clean and start on fresh,
it this terrible new wifi problem that drives me nuts)

I am travelling to foreign countries alot this fall, I have just come back from Naples, thats another reason why this problem must be fixed soon...

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting network settings? To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Rojas4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need someone to talk to.....

Sometimes recently, maybe late August, my Ipad 3 started to drop wifi connection.

i was surfing the web, and then I closed the app. In the next momenet I opened Applestore, to update my Twitter app.... and found that I was not on net "no internet connection".

In the beginng of this problem, i rebooted my Ipad and then of course it went on Wifi. And worked perfect for some hours, but then the tha same happened again.

Nowadays I do the following, I click on "forget this network" and the login again. Evrything perfect for a while, unntil it drops the wifi connection again.

I have no idea where to start to find what is wrong. no idea at all, maybe a friendly tip can help me on my search.
(no ios 7 yet, my 6.1 cydia setup is so fantastically perfect, I simply dont have the time to wipe it clean and start on fresh,
it this terrible new wifi problem that drives me nuts)

I am travelling to foreign countries alot this fall, I have just come back from Naples, thats another reason why this problem must be fixed soon...

Change the SSID name on your router to a different name with no spaces in the name.
I was having the same problem with my mini on iOS 6 as well until I changed my SSID from The default name on my router to a different name.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Change the SSID name on your router to a different name with no spaces in the name.
I was having the same problem with my mini on iOS 6 as well until I changed my SSID from The default name on my router to a different name.

Hi MorAase - first, is this problem happening only on your home router/Wi-Fi network or on other Wi-Fi networks that you use? Second, if only @ home you might want to also 'power recycle' the router (and your modem), i.e. just pull the plugs (or turn off if there is a switch), wait about 30 seconds, then plug in the modem followed by another short wait and start the router. My modem (Time-Warner Road Runner) goes 'out' a few times a week and needs to be reset (I may need a new modem but being rented from T-W). Good luck.

As to the second quote above, for those w/ home Wi-Fi routers there are some initial 'to dos' that should always be performed:
  • Change the router's SSID (Service Set ID) - i.e. name of your home network; often these are defaulted to the brand name of the router.
  • Change the router's password - again often defaulted to something hackers will try, like 'password' - easy one to crack!
  • Disable remote router access - could allow a hacker to break into your network over the air and cause damage to your computer.
  • Enable strong wireless security - I use WPA2 Personal on my Air Port Extreme router.
  • Enable MAC filtering - optional? Can be cracked easily by the right person.
  • Disable SSID broadcasting - optional? Some devices may not connect unless the name of the network is evident.
Currently, I'm using the first four items on the list, and there are other steps that can be done for even further security - Dave :)

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much!
Looks better now.

I am too old for this tech stuff. So thats why I got a brand new asus 66 router in August.
It has 14 devices attached, 4 wifi. Every device its unique static ip.

So no wonder all my trouble when I forgot to put in that static ip in one device, my Ipad.

Sorry about that, your replies made me walk through my settings, works good now.

ape07350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need someone to talk to..... Sometimes recently, maybe late August, my Ipad 3 started to drop wifi connection. i was surfing the web, and then I closed the app. In the next momenet I opened Applestore, to update my Twitter app.... and found that I was not on net "no internet connection". In the beginng of this problem, i rebooted my Ipad and then of course it went on Wifi. And worked perfect for some hours, but then the tha same happened again. Nowadays I do the following, I click on "forget this network" and the login again. Evrything perfect for a while, unntil it drops the wifi connection again. I have no idea where to start to find what is wrong. no idea at all, maybe a friendly tip can help me on my search. (no ios 7 yet, my 6.1 cydia setup is so fantastically perfect, I simply dont have the time to wipe it clean and start on fresh, it this terrible new wifi problem that drives me nuts) I am travelling to foreign countries alot this fall, I have just come back from Naples, thats another reason why this problem must be fixed soon...
try and reset your modem / router

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found the problem.

Unable to fix it.

If I set my Ipad to Static ip. Evrything is fine, it never drops off wifi.

But my ipad will not at all stay on static. Not at all. It returns to dynamic very soon.

Thats the problem. In some way i need to force it to static ip.

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found the problem.

Unable to fix it.

If I set my Ipad to Static ip. Evrything is fine, it never drops off wifi.

But my ipad will not at all stay on static. Not at all. It returns to dynamic very soon.

Thats the problem. In some way i need to force it to static ip.

Problem "fixed"

I turned on airplane mode.

Now it never drops wifi. Never. Thats strange - why?

Most reactions

Latest posts