What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music app

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to display albums in a grid of covers, as it used to be (and still is in Mavericks)? The instructions in the iOS 7 user guide don't work, at least not on my iPad.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only view that looks like a grid of albums is the iTunes Radio view. Everything else is now a list with album thumbnails to the left, with no options to change that I can see.

Looking through the iOS 7 User Guide for iPad I don't see any grid views except the iTunes Radio one. Could you point out the instructions you are trying to follow?

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't find them now, of course. But they said that the album grid appears in landscape mode, which limitation made no sense to me anyway.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. You were probably looking at the manual for iOS 7 and the iPhone. I just checked, and Album view does indeed turn into a grid of album art when you turn the iPhone to landscape.

Byronk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, this almost answered a question that I was about to post. When I go to artist and them located the artist I want I see the list of 5 albums of theirs that I actually own. In the old app that list would expand to show the song list in that album and right below I would see the next album and the list of songs in that album and so on and I could see every song be that group sorted by album. I could select the first song of the first album and it would play through every song on that album them automatically start the next. Now I can only view the songs one album at a time and when I select the first song it plays that song over and over until I have to go select the next song. What can I do to get back to the way it was before? Is there another app out there that will give what I want?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the bottom of the album art view you will see two icons. The first looks like two arrow lines crossed. The second is either looped arrows, or looped arrows with a "1" on it. The first icon is shuffle mode, and will play the entire album in a random order. The second icon turns on loopoing for the entire album, or just the current song (the "1")

It sounds like that's what is going on. Tap the icon to cycle through the modes.

Hold in mind this thread is kind of old (2013), so a lot of the descriptions are out of date. The following image is of iOS 8.4. I you've got an earlier version you may have only one icon that cycles between all three modes, and it may appear on different screens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438045138.664844.jpg

Byronk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the bottom of the album art view you will see two icons. The first looks like two arrow lines crossed. The second is either looped arrows, or looped arrows with a "1" on it. The first icon is shuffle mode, and will play the entire album in a random order. The second icon turns on loopoing for the entire album, or just the current song (the "1")

It sounds like that's what is going on. Tap the icon to cycle through the modes.

Hold in mind this thread is kind of old (2013), so a lot of the descriptions are out of date. The following image is of iOS 8.4. I you've got an earlier version you may have only one icon that cycles between all three modes, and it may appear on different screens.

View attachment 66365
OK great. That got part of the problem. Can I line up about 5 album so that when I get with it in Word or something where I need to fucus and concentrate on my work I don't have to stop and change albums. One album over and over will be OK till about the 3rd or fourth time through then the music starts breaking my concentration and I might as well shut it down. I use the music with my headphones to filter out outside noise.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try creating a playlist with the albums you want.

Choose the Playlists tab, New (at the top right), Add Songs, then you can add songs by artist, albums, composers, individual songs, etc.

When you play a playlist you get the same controls as for albums, and they should be in very similar views/screens.

Most reactions