What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie labels disappear?

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, this is bugging me also. My movies now just show the picture icon. No text associated with it.

Plus, I ripped a couple new movies last night (using Handbrake) and added them. These were installed in Videos under a new tab "Home Videos' and these do have text (i./e., Title, Date). Where my previous stored movies are still shown under the tab "Movies" (but without text).

Anubody know about this and care to explain?

lovemymacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS7 MOVIE LABELS MISSING!!!!!!!!!! incredibly serious problem for me. Glad I downloaded ios7 on my personal iPad first. At work this would have wiped us out with orientation videos we use on iPads - many hundreds on each ipad. Having no labels would make our entire multiple iPad investment useless until they fix this. Quite surprised, never had this kind of serious problem with an upgrade before. It seems seriously amateur hour, just like the clown makeup interface I'm struggling to try to like. I am a really integrated Apple user and I'm wanting to like this but a mistake like this that wipes out the entire purpose of our many iPads if anyone upgrades one of our work ipads by mistake is pretty disappointing. I'm really feeling the absence of Steve's oversight. They never got anything this wrong before. The crazy thing is that if you shut down the video application and restart it you can see all of the video names for a moment and then they are all replaced by a clip of the movie - in my case, virtually all black screen stupidly selected. Strange that they like this crazy clown paint look but don't bother to detect that they've got a screen from the movie where there is at least some color. Now I'm only going to have to suffer on my personal iPad. Of course now that I no longer watch TV but instead download entire seasons to my iPad for watching, I have four seasons of The Wire to try to dig through when I want to watch the next episode. I'm trying to delete each episode as I watch it, not something I normally do by choice as I sometimes like to go back to check things I realize I may have missed in a previous episode. Of course now I have fifty black squares with absolutely no information or label of any kind. And I get to try to hunt through that to figure out what video I'm dealing with. Serious bummer. Wish I hadn't upgraded yet. And if they don't choose to fix this??? I really am disappointed already. This is the main reason I have an iPad, actually.

Last edited:

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
> clown makeup interface
LOL. Talk about an accurate 3-word description of the new look. I was looking for a verbal description of the new look and have found it. Well done! I suppose we will get use to it though eventually.

Hopefully there are some workarounds to the movie listings.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IOS7 MOVIE LABELS MISSING!!!!!!!!!! incredibly serious problem for me. Glad I downloaded ios7 on my personal iPad first. At work this would have wiped us out with orientation videos we use on iPads - many hundreds on each ipad. Having no labels would make our entire multiple iPad investment useless until they fix this. Quite surprised, never had this kind of serious problem with an upgrade before. It seems seriously amateur hour, just like the clown makeup interface I'm struggling to try to like. I am a really integrated Apple user and I'm wanting to like this but a mistake like this that wipes out the entire purpose of our many iPads if anyone upgrades one of our work ipads by mistake is pretty disappointing. I'm really feeling the absence of Steve's oversight. They never got anything this wrong before. The crazy thing is that if you shut down the video application and restart it you can see all of the video names for a moment and then they are all replaced by a clip of the movie - in my case, virtually all black screen stupidly selected. Strange that they like this crazy clown paint look but don't bother to detect that they've got a screen from the movie where there is at least some color. Now I'm only going to have to suffer on my personal iPad. Of course now that I no longer watch TV but instead download entire seasons to my iPad for watching, I have four seasons of The Wire to try to dig through when I want to watch the next episode. I'm trying to delete each episode as I watch it, not something I normally do by choice as I sometimes like to go back to check things I realize I may have missed in a previous episode. Of course now I have fifty black squares with absolutely no information or label of any kind. And I get to try to hunt through that to figure out what video I'm dealing with. Serious bummer. Wish I hadn't upgraded yet. And if they don't choose to fix this??? I really am disappointed already. This is the main reason I have an iPad, actually.
There were no movie labels in iOS 6.1.3 either, just the poster art as in iOS 7. image-1407426014.jpg iOS 6.1.3

image-395492782.jpg iOS 7.0

lovemymacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There were no movie labels in iOS 6.1.3 either, just the poster art as in iOS 7. View attachment 48123 iOS 6.1.3

View attachment 48124 iOS 7.0

What you are showing has the necessary labelling already integrated into the image. Those move images from the packaged movies that Apple sells as downloads or rentals never needed labels because the people providing the movies choose images of movie posters or whatever makes a good "label" for the movie. I'm talking about movies I've either downloaded elsewhere that I've converted to mp4's. IMG_0055.PNG That image is a screenshot direct from my ipad. How am I supposed to deal with hundreds of black squares? How can I hand an ipod to someone and tell them they can watch instructional videos when those videos have just lost every indication of what is on them? I have ipads with literally 900+ short videos on them. Without the labelling there is no way to know how to locate these carefully named, numbered, and alphabetized videos. And on my personal ipad I have seventy or eighty videos that change constantly as I finish watching them. These also include instructional videos. I'm actually quite surprised at this large a mistake. On the other hand, if this is some sort of choice to make using downloaded movies into an intentionally inconvenient experience it will be quite awful. What makes it seem like a glitch is that when the video application starts up all of the videos first show, for only an instant, with the names of the videos right in the space that then quickly turns to black squares. As someone who is already not at all a fan of the whole clown makeup craziness, I'll admit I'm ready to judge it badly. But overall, anything I deal with that substantially favors form or color or pizzaz - or clown makeup - over necessary functionality is not the kind of thing I like using or dealing with. Now the videos app is some sort of modern art statement. It's quite sickening, actually and it was the first thing I came across when I picked up the iPad to watch a movie after ios7 downloaded. The thing that really troubles me is that I can't image how they failed to catch this problem. it was the very first thing I noticed. Do they only provide the beta to developers? How could they not let a few hundred people test the basic functionality of ios7 before they release it like this? Don't Apple employees take this home so that such basic problems are caught before they get to us? This is the premier company in the world right now for this kind of product and this just plops out on release day? No one ever thought to see if non-Apple-purchased movies were usable on a viewing device like this? For me this unfortunately confirms the underlying crazy-yahoo quality I was fearing might be taking over Apple now that the cat has died and there doesn't appear to be such a coherent purpose any more. I am actually quite horrified by the overall look and the random colors that seem completely detached from any usefulness. Having such a glaring mistake show up on the first day is very disturbing and I wonder how long I'll have to wait for this to be fixed. Unless we are somehow now in a penalty phase of making downloaded or personally-produced videos very difficult to use. Surely that can't be it. And if it isn't - how did this happen?

Last edited:

lovemymacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
> clown makeup interface
LOL. Talk about an accurate 3-word description of the new look. I was looking for a verbal description of the new look and have found it. Well done! I suppose we will get use to it though eventually.

Hopefully there are some workarounds to the movie listings.

I agree. I'll probably get used to it. For the moment it is intrusive and feels completely pointless and disconnected from any useful interface-based purpose. I was first drawn to the Apple interface because of the way relevance and the need for particular elements to either come to the fore or stay back was so delightfully and intelligently worked out. The fonts, colors, boldness or insubstantiality of each element stayed in balance with the level of intrusiveness or background-yet-available quality each deserved. I noticed how much I enjoyed that all of the time when I began to use Apple products. And I recognized why I found windows interfaces disturbing in contrast. For the moment, it is as if someone has decided to dismantle all of that and scream in my face wearing a clown costume with greasepaint smeared thoughtlessly and wildly all over their face. And this after all of the color was removed from the finder and from iTunes, a change I found genuinely unpleasant and heavy handed. Now color is back with a crazed vengeance and it isn't linked with any functional purpose I can recognize. Sure, I'll probably get used to it. But I'm afraid that in this case it may be the kind of used to that comes with loud neighbors and smelly co-workers. Not something that adds to my experience. Just something I can learn to live with. I feel like an angry child just inherited their family home in their second semester of art school and they're back to deface/"decorate" their new possession with some ideas they picked up in a class taught by an inexperienced new professor who won them over with his crazy hairstyle. I feel like there is no rhyme or reason for the craziness and I don't even like the window movements. And I have loved all of the upgrades and transformations up till now other than - completely ironic at this point - the sudden loss of color in the finder and iTunes a few cycles ago.

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There were no movie labels in iOS 6.1.3 either, just the poster art as in iOS 7. View attachment 48123 iOS 6.1.3

View attachment 48124 iOS 7.0
Can you explain why the new movies I created and added last night (created from Handbrake) were stored under a "Home Videos" tab (within the Videos application), instead of the "Movies" tab? These were created the same way as my other movies (i.e., Handbrake). Plus the new ones added under "Home Videos" show the picture icon and below each icon are two lines with the Title and Date of the video. This has the information needed but I don't know why these are being stored there. (Note that at the top of my Videos application I see three tabs: Movies, TV Shows, Home Videos).

lovemymacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this in another forum:

iOS 7 VIDEOS: No titles for movies - MacRumors Forums

Maybe helpful. I don't know as yet. I don't understand what they mean by "Change the Media Kind in the video options from "Movie" to "Home Video"". If you know and this does work, please inform me.

Thanks.

SORT OF SOLUTION: View attachment 48135 go to iTunes when the ipad or iphone is plugged in and select the videos you want to change. You can make these changes to an entire group of videos at once. (I'm assuming that you can also do this to videos directly in itunes if they are actually on your computer. I am dealing with an ipad that already has the movies on it, fortunately set to "manage videos and music" so I can make these adjustments) You then right click on the selected video/videos and choose Options and you will see the window in the included screenshot (I guess it's too big to show inline but I guess you click on the "Attachment ..." and it will open for you here. Select "Home Videos", click OK and wait a moment and you'll then discover that you have the option on the your iPad, in addition to the Movies and TV Shows display options to go to "Home Movies". And Voila, there you'll see all of the movies displayed with titles, though the previous ability to display the opening of the video as a static image seems to be broken. I call it a "sort of solution" because the formatting and space available for the label seems to have changed just enough that I had to go through and rename all of the TV shows, abbreviating the name of the show so I could see the season and episode number. Which wasn't such fun with fifty+ videos. The label algorithm somehow takes the first eight or ten characters of the show's name and then pastes on the last few letters. Inconveniently cutting out the season and episode numbers, which are certainly more useful than the last few letters of the episode name. But at least I can find the videos now and using a program like NameChange, which is free and pretty useful, I can change all of the other television show names to match the new labeling formatting algorithm so that I can fit the relevant episode information so that I can find the movie or show I'm looking for. So actually, I'm not so annoyed any more.

Last edited:
OP
C

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine fixed, downloaded the latest iTunes and just dumped the movies back on the iPad...labeled now

Most reactions

Latest posts