What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mounting ISO file on iPad (1st Gen)

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have a DVD loaded with instructional videos/audios and supporting pictures and pdfs. I would like to go through DVD en route work. Since I need to check suporting pictures and pdfs while watching the videos or listening to the audio, it is not as simple as ripping the video files. I wonder if anybody has an idea how I can mount this ISO file and then play the material from that ISO file.

This is iPad 1st generation, 64GB, wi-fi only, I am posting topic in this section because I have jailbroken the iPad.

VLC doesn't seem to be an option because I could not figure out how to install it from the VLC website.

Thanks in advance.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I.... don't think you can extract ISO at all directly on the iPad with any tweaks. You can, however, extract the DVD's content and transfer that over to your iPad though. That way you can omit the parts that you don't need so not to clog up space if anything.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really know how to help with the question, sorry.

However, I can tell you that VLC is available to download directly from Cydia (you don't have to load any extra repos, it's on the default ZodTTD repo).

So, if anything, it'll help you with any frustrations in getting the tweak/app from the web site...

Marilyn

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this isn't helpful, but an ISO image is generally attributed to one of the two methods of writing/finishing a CD ROM. Normally when an image is ripped it becomes available for burning onto another (blank) disc. You would need to find a program to rip the contents into a usable format (not an ISO image), then attach the files with a front end to perform the normal function of the DVD, then be able to install it and have it sit in its silo in the OS and work. I'm not sure you will find something that will do this, but you never know.

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed VLC but the SSH thing looks a little complicated.

In other way, How can I copy extracted ISO as it is i.e. maintaining the folder structure on the iPad. With iFunbox, seems like it is designed to copy only files and not the folders or am I missing something with iFunbox.
Any other way to copy folder to iPad in such a way that videos will be accessible in OPlayer, pdfs using Adobe reader and audio using iTunes or similar?

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can copy an either folder into a specific directory using any FTP methods. Just make sure you remember which directory you placed it in.

That depends. In most cases, apps like VLC, Adobe and such will have their own specific directory where their files go. You'd have to find those directories and put them in there manually if you want them to open by default. Otherwise, you can FTP them into a specific directory that you remember, then open then using those apps by tapping and holding briefly, and choosing an app that you want to open the file with.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are doing. Should we assume you have no access to a PC or a wifi hard drive? Is this a movie DVD or a data DVD? Is the video in .vob or some other format? If it is a data DVD, then the files may be in a format that iOS can handle natively. That makes a difference. Since you are saying there are PDFs, pics, and audio, it sounds like a data DVD to me. That makes it simpler, depending on the file types are included.

If I wanted to do this, I'd just copy the entire DVD to an SD card and put that in my Air Stash. Then I can use the app to rummage though the folder structure while out and about (which I assume is what you want to do). Any portable wifi drive will do, actually. It can only play or view files that the app support, though. Apps like FileExplorer support other filetypes. I would not bother with making an iso of the disc, though.

Another option is to zip the files up, transfer via wifi into Goodreader. Unzip inside Goodreader, which will preserve the file structure. Then go though in Good Reader. On problem here is it can only handle what iOS natively has support for.

edit: Just did a check...Fileexplorer plays .vob files. as it plays other types of video files, views pdfs, plays mp3s, etc, and has support for various wifi drives, this can be made to work.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts