What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobil.me / Outlook 2010 sync question

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad (wifi, 64g) for just over a week now and am happily on a drive cross country, connected through WMWiFiRouter on my Sprint TouchPro 2. Very slick- and thank goodness for an unlimited data plan!

Anyway, I've been researching how to sync all my Outlook contacts and email onto the iPad. I do NOT have Exchange Server - Just Outlook 2010. I'm not at my office (driving across New Mexico right now, actually!), but I was wondering if any here have that working with Mobile.me. Is it only through an iTunes sync, or does it work wirelessly?

Apologies if this has been covered before... i've seen some old info on it, but nothing recent, and nothing on Outlook 2010.

Thanks!

Larry

Last edited:
OP
L

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, an answer to my own question...

... is that Outlook 2010 apparently isn't compatible with the plugin for Mobile.me. It not only crashed Outlook 2010, it crashed my pc - had to restart. When I started up Outlook 2010 it gave an error message that the Mobile.me plugin wasn't compatible and wanted to disable it. Ok, Fine...

I'm disappointed because I was hoping to access my calendar on the iPad. guess not - for now. One of the problems of being an early adopter of Outlook 2010 I guess.

Larry

tobriant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I use Outlook 2007 and MobileMe without problem. I've been wondering about upgrading to 2010, but thinking it is not worth it. Will definitely hold off for now (at least until this issue is resolved).

OP
L

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Um... it seems to work...

Ok, I'm confused. Outlook 2010 disabled the mobile.me plug-in, but just for fun, and because I wanted to try it, I let iTunes sync my calendar, contacts and 4 email accounts. It seems to be working!

I've tried adding appointments on the iPad and then when I sync it showed up on my pc's Outlook calendar. Cool!

Playing with the calendar a bit, I like the interface a lot. Very nicely done visually.

This was too easy. Does that mean something bad is about to happen? Haha...

Sorry for the alarm, but when the mobile.me plug-in crashed the pc, I sent out an alarm. MANY on the web are complaining that they aren't compatible, but it seems to be working for me.

I wonder if it can sync wirelessly with my pc... anyone do this?

Larry :D

Leboyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you and I are in very similar boats (including the fact that we are both named "Larry").

I have OL2007, not 2010, but otherwise we want the same outcome and are willing to do some testing to figure out what does work and what does not.

Here's one problem that I've found. The MM created "me.com" calendar and contact entries on the ipad and iphone, which does not merge with OL. Therefore, since the iPad is kind of the "central point", it has duplicate entries (one for me.com and one for PC).

Another problem, which you also found, is that MM doesn't work with OL2007/2010, although this may be a Win7 issue and not OL. Regardless of why, MM gives an error message when attempting to sync contacts from OL.

The worst of it is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of real information and help out there, except from users just trying to get something to work. This takes a lot of time and energy!

This multi-calendar issue is a big problem for me right now and I don't know how to fix it. I can iTune sync my OL to iPad, but the entries don't get to MM from the iPad. Pain, pain, pain!

OP
L

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leboyd,

I haven't set up the calendar or contacts on MM, so I'm not getting the duplicates. I've experienced that before on WinMobile devices and syncing with Outlook, and don't want to go there again. Somewhere along the way, Microsoft sorted that out so I don't have the duplication anymore.

Unlike you, I'm using my desktop's Outlook 2010 as the hub for my info. My phone and iPad sync to that and I'm not having issues at all with duplicated info. However, I have to sync by wire to my pc, or I'm not up to date.

I get what you're doing with MM - and I probably should try to get that working as well, but for now I'm locked in to my work pc as my main hub. It would be cool to have sync done wirelessly through MM, but that isn't my primary data program - Outlook 2010 is.

I was puzzled, though, when after installing MM, I got an error message that Outlook 2010 wouldn't work with the MM add-in. There may be a clue there as to why the calendars aren't syncing... Maybe?

Larry (the other one)

Most reactions