What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mkv with avplayer hd and iphoto issues

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey did any of you guys try watching a mkv movie on the new iPad with avplayer hd ? Mine runs slow and bitty, under 1x speed. Also while using iPhoto when messing with the colour, saturation and all, it runs slow and choppy, not smooth. Anyone else with these problems ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm using avplayer hd right now with an MKV and it plays fine.

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the new iPad ? It's under 1x speed on mine

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GabeIpad3 said:
On the new iPad ? It's under 1x speed on mine

I wish I had a suggestion to offer you. What size are your mkv files?

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Standard 4.5 gb for 720p but a couple of times I didn't let it copy all the way so it was like700 mb, sometimes even less. I'm really worried it might be the processor . But the games work perfectly on it so it wouldn't make sense

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And as I've said, when I do that saturation thing in iPhoto it does the same thing, it runs bitty. I don't think the store where I bought it from covers avplayer playback insurance.

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask u a favour .
. Can u copy a movie with imbedded subs and see if it plays in order ? Just put some mkv's without subs and they run perfectly

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll try some more movies tonight to see if I get the problem more. I don't typically play mkvs on my iPad. I most use mp4s for tablets. But I convert tv to mkv uncompressed for watching on my TV. I have some really big mkvs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GabeIpad3 said:
Do you mind if I ask u a favour .
. Can u copy a movie with imbedded subs and see if it plays in order ? Just put some mkv's without subs and they run perfectly

All of my mkvs have no subs!

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, try some mkv's and see how they work please. Thank you very much !

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
oh boy...Transferred over a 6.6GB episode of Fringe. Bit-perfect transfer, no added compression when taken off Blu-ray disc. It's playing really, really slowly, as you described. I don't remember if I tried this before or not. Also, don't know if this is an avplayerHD problem on the iPad 3. This video is 1920x1080. It plays fine on my PC, BTW. I'm going to unload everything from memory and try this again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried a 2.1GB transcode of Real Steal in m4v format. That works great. It seems it doesn't like bit-perfect MKVs....I didn't apply any compression to mine...it was whatever came off the blu-ray.

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what is there to do ? Do you think it's a software problem from av player hd ? Apple support is going to call me on Monday and I'll see. Maybe the program is not optimised for the new iPad. ALSo I tried every single other player from the App Store and this is he only one that works best. And by best I mean slow and bitty because the other players won't even play it.

Most reactions

Latest posts