What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MKV player that supports AC3/DTS audio and plays from WinSMB shares, does this exist?

Action Jackson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I finally purchased my first iPad and it's the latest 4th gen one running IOS 6. I'm not a n00b when it comes to Apple products as I've had an iPod Touch 4th gen for a LONG time. The iPod Touch is Jailbroken and I installed older versions of OPlayer/Good Player so I could stream movies from my Windows 7 share to my iPod. Since the latest versions of a LOT of media playing software on the App Store have dropped AC3/DTS audio support, I was able to easily go back to older versions of media software that kept that functionality. Now with the iPad, I want to do the same. I spent probably 3 or 4 hours yesterday looking for an answer and came up empty. Programs that supported AC3/DTS couldn't access Windows shares. Programs that could access Windows shares didn't support AC3. Since my iPad isn't jailbroken, I'm OK with spending some money on an app or two to accomplish the same functionality I have on my iPod Touch. Here are the requirements;

1) Must be able to access/STREAM from Windows shares. (Not fond of having to first copy the file (10 gig MKV) to my iPad and then watch it.)
2) Must support AC3/DTS audio.
3) Must support Divx, Xvid, MKV, AVI

I also don't want to import movies into iTunes or convert them to an MP4 format so I can use the native iOS media player because I have to many movies in MKV format. Once the iPad 4th gen/IOS 6 is jailbroken, I'm sure my problems will be solved since I can install older versions of players and be on my way. Which sort of brings me to another question. Say the iPad 4th gen/IOS 6 is jailbroken, will the iPad 4 be able to handle 720P MKV files? I read conflicting info on whether media players will have access to hardware decoding on the iPad 4?! (As in, if I use an older version of OPlayer on a jailbroken iPad 4, will 720P movies play back smoothly or eat my battery life for breakfast and stutter? Starting to wonder if I should just return it and get the enemy (Nexus 10) and root it and be on my way?!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you are streaming go your iPad, why the need for ac3?

Have looked at air video and vlc?

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Since you are streaming go your iPad, why the need for ac3?

Have looked at air video and vlc?

If your files are encoded in ac3 then the app wont be able to decode them if ac3 has been removed.

I do exactly what your looking for and your best option is air video. It works really well and if you use xbmc you can airplay directly to it.

Air video will play anything, it does encoding on the fly. Ive loaded up 30 gig mkv files with no issues.

Most reactions