What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mirror desktop

mauritz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a teacher, I make use of a projector in my class.
Before buying an Ipad, I want to inquire how to link my Ipad to my xp desktop, mirror the image on the projector screen, and a learner can solve a math problem on the whiteboard, while sitting at his desk using an ipad.

I understand how the remote desktop aps function, but it is not clear if changes can be made on my pc or whether I would be able to see the cursor moving.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why you need the iPad connected to your PC, couldn't you just connect the iPad directly to your projector.........or, if the projector has an HDMI port, connect wirelessly by combining with an Apple TV and an app like TVout genie?

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or.......you could use an app like splashtop if you are looking to control the PC screen with the iPad?

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

mauritz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but I am still in the dark.

I have a NEC projector linked via vga to my laptop.
I prefer a hands on approach with my class.
Writing on the board cast a shadow and I normally stand in front of some of the learners. Another problem is that the learners can talk while I am facing the board.

My projector does not have a hdmi port. I do not have an apple tv. I am using a Interactive whiteboard.

I do not have wifi or internet in class, therefore I want to control my laptop, edit word documents and save changes remotely.
Money is unfortunately a problem, so freeware will really be appreciated.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mauritz said:
Thanks for the advice but I am still in the dark.

I have a NEC projector linked via vga to my laptop.
I prefer a hands on approach with my class.
Writing on the board cast a shadow and I normally stand in front of some of the learners. Another problem is that the learners can talk while I am facing the board.

My projector does not have a hdmi port. I do not have an apple tv. I am using a Interactive whiteboard.

I do not have wifi or internet in class, therefore I want to control my laptop, edit word documents and save changes remotely.
Money is unfortunately a problem, so freeware will really be appreciated.

In that case I'm think an RDP like Splashtop is the answer, it will control your laptop, many on here use it, I would suggest a search for splashtop on the forum (and the results will provide you with alternatives). The apps are either free or low cost so a solution is there for you, anyway, have a search here and then post any questions that you still have.

The Archangel

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm also a teacher and I plan to use a projector on the first day of class and throughout the semester.

I bought the Apple VGA adapter to connect my ViewSonic PJD5111 projector with my iPad 2.

Although the projector was already an old model when I bought it a few years ago, connecting it with the adapter was simple and what I see on my iPad screen is mirrored on the wall. All I have to do is tap on the screen to advance the slides.

I can view a wide variety of documents and apps such as Mail, Pages, Keynote QuickOffice Pro HD word files and PowerPoint presentations, forum postings, Safari, etc as well as the iPad home screen.

Please note that I haven't tried using a presentation for which sound is required.

As already mentioned, the iPad 2 replaces a laptop for presentations.

kknixon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a teacher and trying to hook my iPad up to projector to show some pictures. I have the avg adaptor and nothing happens when I plug it in. I also have selected VGA a as the source. Projector works great with MacBook. Is there anything I need to do in settings to fix this? Can an ipad1 hook up to an adaptor?

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kknixon said:
I am a teacher and trying to hook my iPad up to projector to show some pictures. I have the avg adaptor and nothing happens when I plug it in. I also have selected VGA a as the source. Projector works great with MacBook. Is there anything I need to do in settings to fix this? Can an ipad1 hook up to an adaptor?

I checked on the Apple website and the Apple VGA adapter is supposed to work with both an iPad 1 and 2 (although mirroring is only possible with a 2).

The Apple VGA adapter works with my iPad 2 and projector without my having to change any settings. I also use the same projector with my MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. Although I think you'll need a more experienced person than me, I will check the back of my projector (when I get home) to check the label above the slot I use to see if that will make a difference.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kknixon said:

I don't understand what you mean by selecting the "VGA as a source." My projector setup is a lot simpler: I plug the VGA adapter into the "COMP IN 2"? port, the other end to my iPad and turn on both devices.

Hopefully someone can give you an answer soon.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe the avg adaptor is defective? or the projector cable, or the projector port? these things happen... even if the mac is recognized...

maybe you can try with the rgb adaptor instead...

i have no problems with mine... the iPad is immediately recognized by the projector, and the projection reflects what is on the iPad.

Last edited:

kknixon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I downloaded the image out app. And it works with that app. The only problem is that app only displays one image at a time. ..I'm just going to use my MacBook until I can figure it out.

CEO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the iPad 2 mirror everything on a projector as the iPad 1 can not. Would like to know thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts