What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini 4 advantages

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am about to get a newer Mini. I have the Mini2 .Does the Mini 4 have a port for a memory stick?
Is the Mini4 a good upgrade for me?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am about to get a newer Mini. I have the Mini2 .Does the Mini 4 have a port for a memory stick?
The only port on an iPad mini 4 and any ipad, in fact, is the charging port. Apple makes accessories for the charging port like the camera connector kit which has an adaptor with a mini USB port. With a mini USB to USB adaptor you can connect a memory stick but it’s use is quite limited compared to using it on a computer or an android tablet. You can store music, photos, and non iTunes videos but the content can only be accessed through an app designed to work with the memory stick. I’ve used something similar on my iPhone 5s, the Mophie Space Pac. It’s a battery case with built in memory that connects through the charging port. It works with a companion app through which you can view the stored content. There’s probably a memory stick that works with the iPad in a similar way.

The mini 4 is the latest iPad mini and the best one to get if you want the smaller form factor of the mini.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Doris.
I still have iPad Mini 2, I bet you will enjoy the Mini 4 even better.
For memory expansion I use an Emtec device. It has two connectors, one the normal iPad charging connection and the other is a USB connector. So it is relatively easy to swap information between iPad and PC.
As Scifan says it still needs an app (supplied) to drive the swaps.
Alternately I have a Seagate memory device that chats to the iPad via WiFi.
Both devices are not pain free but they both work.
If you can afford a new iPad then go for it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The only port on an iPad mini 4 and anyipad, in fact, is the charging port. Apple makes accessories for the charging port like the camera connector kit which has an adaptor with a mini USB port. With a mini USB to USB adaptor you can connect a memory stick but it’s use is quite limited compared to using it on a computer or an android tablet. You can store music, photos, and non iTunes videos but the content can only be accessed through an app designed to work with the memory stick. I’ve used something similar on my iPhone 5s, the Mophie Space Pac. It’s a battery case with built in memory that connects through the charging port. It works with a companion app through which you can view the stored content. There’s probably a memory stick that works with the iPad in a similar way.

The mini 4 is the latest iPad mini and the best one to get if you want the smaller form factor of the mini.

Hello Doris - concerning a port for a 'memory stick', SciFan.. has already addressed the issue, BUT you may want to help us understand your needs - first, you seem to want to upgrade to a more recent Mini model, and second, you are asking about 'storage capacity' - I hope those are your concerns?

Going from a Mini 2 to a Mini 4 - the specs are below from HERE; Apple is selling the iPad 4 at the moment but the device was first released nearly 2 years ago - a newer model would be nice? If the 'storage' issue concerns capacity on the device then simply obtain a new one w/ 64 GB or 128 GB - as already suggested, these attached devices may not work as desired.

NOW, the other consideration is whether the Mini form factor (i.e. the size) is critical to you since the present offering is dated - if a slightly larger iPad would be acceptable, then you might want to look at Apple's 'iPad', which is pretty much an iPad Air 2 upgrade w/ a bigger battery, and the pricing is not bad at all. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 9.50.17 PM.png

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Doris.
I still have iPad Mini 2, I bet you will enjoy the Mini 4 even better.
For memory expansion I use an Emtec device. It has two connectors, one the normal iPad charging connection and the other is a USB connector. So it is relatively easy to swap information between iPad and PC.
As Scifan says it still needs an app (supplied) to drive the swaps.
Alternately I have a Seagate memory device that chats to the iPad via WiFi.
Both devices are not pain free but they both work.
If you can afford a new iPad then go for it.

Thanks Peter. I think the Mini 4 is the biggest I can fit in a regular sized purse.
Reading specs,it looks like a real upgrade from the Mini2 .i wonder if they will let me trade in my mini.
I really appreciate your reply. Thanks.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only port on an iPad mini 4 and anyipad, in fact, is the charging port. Apple makes accessories for the charging port like the camera connector kit which has an adaptor with a mini USB port. With a mini USB to USB adaptor you can connect a memory stick but it’s use is quite limited compared to using it on a computer or an android tablet. You can store music, photos, and non iTunes videos but the content can only be accessed through an app designed to work with the memory stick. I’ve used something similar on my iPhone 5s, the Mophie Space Pac. It’s a battery case with built in memory that connects through the charging port. It works with a companion app through which you can view the stored content. There’s probably a memory stick that works with the iPad in a similar way.

Thank you scifan 57 , .the reason. I asked about a port is because yesterday the wireless printer quit and if I could have plugged in a memory stick I could have taken that to a friend and got the document printed.. A new printer should solve that problem. As for storage, I have never needed more than I have.
The Mini4 is the biggest size that I can get into a normal purse.
thanks mucho .

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score

P.s. Scifan57 . I read the rules as you indicated ,but couldn't find 2119 . Have I
Done something wrong?

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Doris, you need to thank Giraman for the post with specs.
If you buy another model just read or ask about tips to setup the new model, before you actually do it. Other posters have put up links to assist.
If you still need help swapping files tween iPad and PC, ask again.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Doris - concerning a port for a 'memory stick', SciFan.. has already addressed the issue, BUT you may want to help us understand your needs - first, you seem to want to upgrade to a more recent Mini model, and second, you are asking about 'storage capacity' - I hope those are your concerns?

Going from a Mini 2 to a Mini 4 - the specs are below from HERE; Apple is selling the iPad 4 at the moment but the device was first released nearly 2 years ago - a newer model would be nice? If the 'storage' issue concerns capacity on the device then simply obtain a new one w/ 64 GB or 128 GB - as already suggested, these attached devices may not work as desired.

NOW, the other consideration is whether the Mini form factor (i.e. the size) is critical to you since the present offering is dated - if a slightly larger iPad would be acceptable, then you might want to look at Apple's 'iPad', which is pretty much an iPad Air 2 upgrade w/ a bigger battery, and the pricing is not bad at all. Dave :)
View attachment 79017

Thanks Giradman. What a wonderful post full of info. I just think it is time to upgrade. I have never lacked storage room. The wireless printer quit yesterday and if I had had a memory stick I could have used that and taken it to a friend to print out. New printer is on the way. Many thanks .

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
P.s. Scifan57 . I read the rules as you indicated ,but couldn't find 2119 . Have I
Done something wrong?
The rules are included in the signature, so they appear automatically in our posts when some of us are posting. (Moderators, Administrators)
You didn't do anything wrong.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Doris.
If your printer is Apple compatible you don't need to use a USB stick.
If your printer is not Apple compatible you may still get it to print.
Example I have an old Brother printer non Apple. But Brother has an app that allows it to print from an iPad.
In my case I turn on WiFi and enable Hot Spot.
Then "tune" the printer into the WiFi. (Only need to do once).
If you buy another printer make sure it is Apple compatible and life will be real easy!

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Doris.
Sorry I misread your post.
Hope you new printer works fine!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I think the Mini 4 is the biggest I can fit in a regular sized - Reading specs,it looks like a real upgrade from the Mini2 .i wonder if they will let me trade in my mini................

Hi again Doris - from your comments above and below, appears that you prefer the smaller footprint of the Mini, so by all means the Mini 4 (shown in the previous specs) is your best choice - I would strongly suggest that you purchase at least the 64 GB model. Concerning a 'trade-in', you'll have to discuss that w/ Apple - they do sell refurbished models; also, you can sell your old Mini yourself (plenty of options) or donate the device to family, friend, or a charity.

Thank you scifan 57 , .the reason. I asked about a port is because yesterday the wireless printer quit and if I could have plugged in a memory stick I could have taken that to a friend and got the document printed.. A new printer should solve that problem. As for storage, I have never needed more than I have. The Mini4 is the biggest size that I can get into a normal purse.

Concerning your printer, I'm assuming that it was likely AirPrint compatible (or one w/ a proprietary app which mimics AirPrint?). Make sure that you re-power your printer, modem, and router along w/ resetting your iPad - printing capability may return. Also I hope that your 'new' printer has AirPrint (see the link for compatible models); finally you could email your file to your friend for printing - SciFan.. has already discussed the issues w/ plugging in devices to the charging port.

Thanks Giradman. What a wonderful post full of info. I just think it is time to upgrade. I have never lacked storage room. The wireless printer quit yesterday and if I had had a memory stick I could have used that and taken it to a friend to print out. New printer is on the way. Many thanks .

All issues in your last post above have been addressed. Keep in mind that the Mini 4 is still 2 years old from its original release date - not sure what plans Apple has for a 'newer' model - my wife has a Mini 4 which is currently working well, and she also enjoys the small footprint, so I may have to deal w/ the same situation next year or so? Good luck - Dave :)

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doris, when my iPad mini2 broke last December (2016), I was able to get a trade-in at BestBuy on a new iPad Pro 9.7. The mini2 was otherwise pristine, but the home button quit working and the repair costs were too much relative to the cost of a new ipad, especially with the trade in value. As I found a nice sale on the iPad Pro, and along with the trade-in, I spent much less than I thought I would. But it still ain't cheap!

Most reactions

Latest posts