What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Exec Admits that Netbooks Are Being Cannibalized by the iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

A Microsoft executive has finally confirmed what many commentators have been speculating on over the past few months, that the iPad has “cannibalized†the netbook market. The admission was made to Nick Eaton, author of Seattle Pi’s The Microsoft Blog, by Gavriella Schuster, general manager for Windows Product management.

Eaton reports that the discussion was primarily focused on what Schuster refers to as “and†devices, such as netbooks, tablets and smart phones, which are, generally speaking, not a replacement for desktop computers or laptops, but are used in addition to them.

In the interview, when talking about the success of the iPad and the launch of the first wave of Google Android tablets, Eaton asks Schuster if such tablets are having an effect on Window’s dominance of the netbook market (more than 90 percent of netbooks are powered by Windows) and points to Schuster’s own netbook on the desk in front of her. “These are definitely getting cannibalized,†she replies frankly. “These are really a second device. But they are getting cannibalized.â€

Source: Seattle pi | The Microsoft Blog

Cavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure about that. Thanks to Steve jobs I bought a second net book, I had one and when I got my iPad I gave my net book to my son as I believed Steve when he promised it would be the best Internet experience. Two days latter I came to grip s that I could not do most of what I needed on the net without flash. So I went out and bought another net book..... Thanks again steve....

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dunno - that just seems like an off-the-cuff remark by someone that works for MS. And sales don't account for the people like the poster above, who got an iPad expecting the functional usefulness of a laptop or even netbook and discovered it's further from that than they thought.

Most reactions

Latest posts