What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Increases Demand Rather Than Cannibalizing the iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_survey.JPG

There were those who said, prior to the release of the iPad mini, that it could be a mistake for Apple to release a smaller tablet, which might cannibalise sales of the regular-sized, and more expensive, iPad. However, according to a new survey from Cowen, as reported on by AllThingsD’s John Paczkowski, Apple doesn’t need to have any worries about cannibalizing its own products, as what has actually happened is that the iPad mini has created more demand, not less. Of the 1,225 customers in the US that Cowen spoke to, 12% said they planned to purchase an iPad mini in the next 18 months, with 52% of those people saying that they had never owned a tablet before, and just 16.6% of those who said they planned to buy an iPad mini saying that their purchase was to replace another device. Of that 16.6%, 29% said they were replacing an iPad, 13% said they were replacing a Kindle Fire, and 42% said it was replacing a Windows PC.

“The iPad mini creates more demand than it cannibalizes,†said Cowen analyst Matthew Hoffman, who cited the low price as being one of the main reasons why the iPad mini is appealing to new customers.

Source: iPad Mini Creates More Demand Than It Cannibalizes - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

manojmanoj1990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since ipad was born 3 years ago,many accessories such as colorful display,video games,WI-if system, GPS technology.many people use ipads corrently.In this globalization it is very useful instrument.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Apple devices have always been very similar with the main difference being the screens. People get whatever size they are comfortable with. Nothing to see here.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Apple devices have always been very similar with the main difference being the screens. People get whatever size they are comfortable with. Nothing to see here.

So do you think we might get the iPad Maxi? Say a 13" screen. My scenario: I would be very comfortable with say a 13" screen BUT I really like it to be an iPad. And I'm sure I'm not alone, if eyesight and more exciting display considerations come into play.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
So do you think we might get the iPad Maxi? Say a 13" screen. My scenario: I would be very comfortable with say a 13" screen BUT I really like it to be an iPad. And I'm sure I'm not alone, if eyesight and more exciting display considerations come into play.
Regards, Andrew ddc28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya never know. Not sure if maxi is the right name lol but its got potential as a product. I wonder if they'll make a convertible with some type of hide away keyboard? Knowing apple, if they did, it would be the slickest of the bunch.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ya never know. Not sure if maxi is the right name lol but its got potential as a product. I wonder if they'll make a convertible with some type of hide away keyboard? Knowing apple, if they did, it would be the slickest of the bunch.

Time will tell, but I'll only believe it when I see it. Why stop at 13-inches?

I remember MS once has this touch-screen table that ran Windows. It was a concert that never caught on.

LilyThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's interesting. Most of my friends hate the new iPad mini because you can get something better with a lower price.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LilyThomas said:
Well, that's interesting. Most of my friends hate the new iPad mini because you can get something better with a lower price.

The price does seem high. They should have came in at $299 and with 32gb of memory. The kindle fire and some of the other choices are better values, it seems.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The price does seem high. They should have came in at $299 and with 32gb of memory. The kindle fire and some of the other choices are better values, it seems.

Apple doesn't compete on price. They maintain margins that make the hardware profitable, and if it doesn't sell, they will drop the item from the line.

So far they appear to be selling quite well, and by all accounts are selling significantly more than the Kindle Fire, so it appears they have not missed the mark on price after all.

Most reactions