What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercury browser keeps stoping

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using an ipad 4 with the new update. The last day or two when I open mercury it works fine until I try to type something in the search bar after two letters I get a notice that mercury has stopped working, this only happens when typing. I have been using mercury for a couple of months with no problem. Any ideas?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi--I am going to move this to the help section for better attention.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am using an ipad 4 with the new update. The last day or two when I open mercury it works fine until I try to type something in the search bar after two letters I get a notice that mercury has stopped working, this only happens when typing. I have been using mercury for a couple of months with no problem. Any ideas?

Hi Vett - probably the app - I just put it on my iPad 2 and am having a few issues. You might want to follow the usual recommendations in the quote below, i.e. first 'Force Close' the browser (follow the directions relative to your iOS), then retry; if not successful, then go down the list (or just go to a 'Reset') - let us know if this helps? I'll continue to test this browser on my iPad - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
well that didn't work. when you say as in step B not sure about the offending app. dose that refer to the page that is open from mercery? that is what I draged to the top

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
well that didn't work. when you say as in step B not sure about the offending app. dose that refer to the page that is open from mercery? that is what I draged to the top

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'that didn't work'? Since you mentioned 'Step B', I'm assuming that you have iOS 7.x on your iPad - correct? If so, did you go to the multi-tasking screen and drag the Mercury icon to the top of the screen and did it disappear? Below is an attached image of my multi-tasking screen w/ the browser image showing, by pressing and then dragging to the top, the icon should disappear (if in iOS 7.x) - that is a 'Force Close' - so, try again if that did not occur - if still not helpful, then proceed down the list. Good luck & let us know the results - Dave :)

photo.PNG

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave I did all that but still have the same problem. Step b then 2 and 3. If I remove then reinstall the app will I lose all my bookmarks etc.?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave I did all that but still have the same problem. Step b then 2 and 3. If I remove then reinstall the app will I lose all my bookmarks etc.?

Sorry Vett for your problems - I have 3 browsers on my iPad 2 but usually use Safari and just put Mercury on the device and have noticed a few issues - I suspect that the app plus the recent iOS upgrades may not be 'meshing' well together? - don't know, but if your browser bookmarks & other settings are crucial, then you might want to consider using another browser? BUT, if you do figure out the issues, please post back here - good luck! Dave :)

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have removed the mercury browser and reinstalled it but still the same problem so I installed dolphin and it works ok but I still like mercury better, go well

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this the free version of Mercury? Or the paid version. (Don't think it differentiates anymore in the AppStore though)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have removed the mercury browser and reinstalled it but still the same problem so I installed dolphin and it works ok but I still like mercury better, go well
This is a known issue. I've read somewhere that the developers are working on a solution. What you can do until then, is set the address bar style back to classic, so that search and address field are separated. Search will keep on crashing, but at least you're able to enter an URL address.

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is the free version,

Ja search and address are already separate.

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well it seemed to have fixed itself, so far so good

Most reactions