What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps- Removing Pins

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using Maps, and noticed that some pins are purple and some are red.

If you tap a purple pin to get the menu, 'Remove Pin' is one of the choices.

If you tap a red pin, however, 'Remove Pin' is *not* included on the menu.

How do you remove a red pin? It should be fairly intuitive. Can someone please tell me? I really want to get rid of that pin. The guide just says "Tap 'Remove Pin," which would be the easiest thing if that choice were available in the case of red pins...

Second, I ask out of mere curiosity, why are some pins purple and some red?

Thanks as always!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The red pins mark the location of what you entered in the search box in the maps app. To remove them, clear the search box by deleting your search entry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And in case it wasn't clear, the purple pins are the ones you add yourself, by tap-holding on the map for a couple seconds. You can only place one purple pin. If you tap-hold elsewhere the original will go away and a new one apper under your finger tip.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again,
Yes, you were absolutely correct, scifan57's advice worked like a charm.

I don't know why the choice, 'Remove Pin' is unavailable in the case of red pins menu. It would simplify things.

But, knowing how to get it done feels good! :)

Thank you both!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd guess it's because having your search field cleared when you removed the red pin would be just as, if not more, confusing. Of the two choices Apple chose to make sure you 'know' the red pin is a search result; because that's the only way to can create or remove it.

These simple seeming things are often more complex than they appear, and thought out. Though the final decision on what to do isn't always perfect.

Then again, sometimes it is just arbitrary.

Most reactions

Latest posts