What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps Location not working

Kuau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB wifi only iPad and having problems with maps and my current location.
I just moved from Colorado where it was working fine to Virginia where my iPad still thinks its in Colorado.
Even in safari when I go to maps.google.com it asks me to use current location and I answer yes, it still thinks I'm in Colorado.

Any advice?

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try reseting the Ipad by pressing the home and off button at the same time until you see the apple logo on the screen

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
K

Kuau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried resetting my iPad, now when I starts maps I got the cannot determine location message. So it thinks I am still in Colorado

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB wifi only iPad and having problems with maps and my current location.
I just moved from Colorado where it was working fine to Virginia where my iPad still thinks its in Colorado.
Even in safari when I go to maps.google.com it asks me to use current location and I answer yes, it still thinks I'm in Colorado.

Any advice?

Remove the Map App. and reinstall it.

OP
K

Kuau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it's an issue with the maps app because if I use safari and go to maps.google.com I have the same problem.

Chalicemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.chalicemedia.com
I don't believe there is a functioning GPS receiver in the WiFi only iPad. It uses crowdsourcing and other things to determine location. Go into a couple of different places with hotspots in the area an it should sort itself out. If you're not in a place where there is Wifi available it can't determine where it is. There are some addon GPS receivers available.

iPad 1 WiFi/3G 32 GB, iPad 4 WiFi 64 GB

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kuau said:

Any advice?

Chalicemedia said:
I don't believe there is a functioning GPS receiver in the WiFi only iPad. It uses crowdsourcing and other things to determine location. Go into a couple of different places with hotspots in the area an it should sort itself out. If you're not in a place where there is Wifi available it can't determine where it is. There are some addon GPS receivers available.

iPad 1 WiFi/3G 32 GB, iPad 4 WiFi 64 GB

The WiFi only iPad determines it's location by triangulating nearby WiFi hotspots. If there aren't enough hotspots in the area, the iPad cannot determine its location.

Here's a thread that more clearly explains it.http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/21905-location-wifi-only.html

Most reactions