What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a living?

CatiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anybody making a living self publishing ebooks? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has fantasized about giving up my day job to write the next best-seller, would love to hear about average joe success stories.

Ellen

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
Probably the best example is J.A. Konrath. He spells out his sales and royalties on his blog, but suffice it to say that he's making a living on self-published work. He has also been traditionally published in the past, though.

A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Is Print a Subsidiary Right?

But, yes, making a living by self-publishing is the dream ... and I do think more and more authors (with great writing and LOTS of hard work) will be able to make a living at it as Amazon goes to 70% royalties and e-books sell more and more and people start buying e-books on their iPads. :)

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im not that into books, only read them when i have to write a report about one.

Simon Wood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwood.net
There are a couple of exceptions, but at the moment, it's going to be pretty hard to make a living from self-publishing. I think you stand a good chance if you self-help with a built in audience.

Personally, I write full time but I don't rely on the income from my print books alone. I write for magazines, self publish ebooks version of my titles, sell short stories, sell the audio and foreign writes, etc, teach. To make it full time, you need more than one string to your bow.

Most reactions

Latest posts