What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

maintenance and or upgrade of Ipad Air 2

Shinnen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just given an Ipad Air 2, which has 16 gigs of memory; and I'm wondering if there's anything I should/can do with it to improve/clean/upgrade/maintain it?
Thanks,
.... john

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I still use my iPad Air 2 with 32 GB, even though I have a newer iPad Pro, which tends to stay mostly attached to the Magic Keyboard.
With the Air 2, I find it best to try not to have too many Safari tabs open at once, otherwise loading is quite sluggish. I should really delete some the Apps I am no longer using on this device, so I would recommend you do the same.

OP
S

Shinnen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Well then there's not much I can so with this old ipad to upgrade it. It keeps asking to upgrade the OS, but says that something went wrong when I try to do it.
I have two other questions
1. Is there a way of transferring music, image, or video files, to and from my (Windows 7) computer?
2. Is there a way of shutting the pad down, when I'm not using it?
Thanks,
...... john

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,
Well then there's not much I can so with this old ipad to upgrade it. It keeps asking to upgrade the OS, but says that something went wrong when I try to do it.
I have two other questions
1. Is there a way of transferring music, image, or video files, to and from my (Windows 7) computer?
2. Is there a way of shutting the pad down, when I'm not using it?
Hi John - you've been given a 'vintage' iPad w/ minimal storage - remember that the iOS will take up a handful of GBs and another several or more GBs should be free for normal 'housekeeping'; thus, you likely have under 10 GBs for your apps, data, music, pics, etc. - you should plan to minimize putting on a lot of storage intensive files (thinking pics and music here). As to the iPadOS, according to the chart below (Source), you should be able to upgrade to iPadOS 15.x (I'm on 15.5 on my iPad Pro - not sure if you can go that far?); again you'll need substantial 'free storage' to do an iOS upgrade.

As to your other questions, check the iPad Air 2 Manual HERE which should answer most of your operational questions. As to transferring music, pics, and videos, as discussed above you're pretty much limited because of your minimal storage. If you like the iPad and Apple's world, then I would suggest looking for a much newer model, whether used, refurb, or new - I do have some 'transfer' suggestions but probably not too useful w/ that device (BTW, which was my 2nd iPad bought in 2014). Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 5.27.21 PM.png

OP
S

Shinnen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi giradman,
Thanks for the help.
Looking at my settings: it wants to upgrade to 15.5 "an error incurred installing" is the message. Currently I have 13.7 installed. If I read you right .... upgrading is NOT a good idea, even if I could? It says 1.51 GB of available memory. Does this sound right?
I will only use it for some music files and checking my mail. It also has a nice screen for showing tradesmen projects that I'm working on.
Do you have any recommendations wrt to what features/apps are cpu/memory hungry.
It's actually my wife's old ipad. She has a new one, so I got this one to do with whatever I want. I'm not going to buy another, under any circumstance. I believe it was people on this forum that recommended I get her the latest 64 GB unit. She loves it.
Thanks for the manual shortcut. Can I download it to Windows 7?
Thanks again for your help.
.... john

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi giradman,
Thanks for the help.
Looking at my settings: it wants to upgrade to 15.5 "an error incurred installing" is the message. Currently I have 13.7 installed. If I read you right .... upgrading is NOT a good idea, even if I could? It says 1.51 GB of available memory. Does this sound right?
I will only use it for some music files and checking my mail. It also has a nice screen for showing tradesmen projects that I'm working on.
Do you have any recommendations wrt to what features/apps are cpu/memory hungry.
Thanks for the manual shortcut. Can I download it to Windows 7?
Hi again John - you likely do not have enough 'free storage' to do an iPadOS upgrade - see image below - you can go to that website or google the issue yourself - if you want to try to upgrade (not sure what iOS you are on at the moment - easy to check by going to Settings > About), then you need to delete apps/files/etc to recover some free storage - I'm sure your wife (knowing mine and her Mini) has a lot of apps that don't interest you - :)

As to DL the manual, you'll have to look at that website for the options or google other sites for the manual and see what the options may be? I've not been on Windows since 2011, so cannot help you there - now an 'only' Apple guy. BUT, get rid of apps on the device to get enough storage to see if you can upgrade the iOS, then post back here on your success - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 8.03.53 PM.png

OP
S

Shinnen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I have version 13.7 currently installed.
Frankly, it runs fine for what I want, so I don't think I'll bother with the upgrade.
The manual you put me onto is quite helpful.
Thanks again for your help.
........ john

Most reactions

Latest posts