What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail won't stay open!

canuckgrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help!

I was having issues with sending mail. Went to the Apple store...they fixed it...issues with my carrier and some settings. Did a test run in the store and all was well.

However, now when I try to open my mail...it opens and closes within 2 seconds...I can't even select a message...can't read mail, can't send mail...it just opens and closes.

Sigh!:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

canuckgrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Luck

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I tried it and it didn't help. Going to the apple store tomorrow.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I tried it and it didn't help. Going to the apple store tomorrow.

One last try before you head off to the Apple Store - a reboot....

Turn the iPad off.

Now hold down the Power and Home keys together until the white Apple logo appears - it can take 10 seconds or more, but it will eventually appear.

The iPad will reboot - no apps or user data are lost.

See if the problem persists.

Otherwise, you're right, a visit to the Apple Store is what is needed.

Good Luck

Tim

OP
C

canuckgrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no luck

Thanks again, Tim but it didn't work.

I'll let you know what the apple people do/say so you can add it to your book of tricks.:D

TR

Katharine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Mail - cant launch

I have followed the suggestions - force quit, power down and switch off - as suggested. My mail app is also unable to open. It opens for a fraction of a second but closes immediately.

Please does anyone know what to do to get this sorted out Many thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try deleting and re-adding your accounts. I recommend a restart inbetween. If it is a corupted email causing the problem this might work.

OP
C

canuckgrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Katharine,

I eventually went into my settings and, by trial and error, managed to get my mail account to work. My settings are as follows:

Fetch new data: push
Show : 25 recent
Preview: 2 lines
Font size: Medium
Everything else under mail: OFF

I don't know if this will help...but it did with me. I am certainly not a computer person, but I was really determined to get this working. I know the people in the apple store said there were issues with carriers other than the ones listed.

Good luck!:)

Jlygrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Big thank u to Tim Spracklen!!! I was having problem with my email and I fixed it thanks to u!!!!!:))

Most reactions

Latest posts