What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail and Mail Settings will not open

gmhd404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad2 for a week or so now. I'm new to iPad, do not have an iPhone, but do have Mac experience.
I got the iPad2 connected to our wireless network, set up email in Mail and have down loaded some apps, surfed via Safari, etc., all with no difficulty. Mail has been working fine both sending and receiving, then all of a sudden stopped working today.

Mail sort of opens up, but there's no messages visible and nothing else except the empty Mail screen, and there's no functionality from there. It appears to be frozen. the only thing that can be done from there is tap the home button and go to the home page. The Mail app button shows 14 - I assume new/unread messages?, but none of them show in the Mail screen when I tap it.

I thought there might be a Mail Setting problem, but Mail Settings will not open either. Other settings do open, just not Mail Settings.

Safari and other apps work fine, so I don't think there's a problem with my ISP (Hughesnet - Satellite system) which is also my email host.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, gmhd404

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting or reseting the iPad?

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
G

gmhd404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called Apple iPad Support yesterday and they had me shut the iPad2 off, plug it into my MacBook Pro, and then press and hold the the iPad power and home buttons until the Apple appeared. It then connected to iTunes and did a complete download of the iOS and reset everything. Even though the download did not fully complete (My Hughesnet Satellite internet system sometimes takes forever to download and frequently stops in the middle of big ones....), it seemed to fix the problem.

They said it was a software corruption problem. Odd that would occur after only one week of operation???? Even odder that it would solve the problem and work with only a partial iOS download????

But, hey, it's working now.

If there's a next time, I'll try your rebooting method first. Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The poet knows everything. Since my time on iPad Forum I've realised he's the most knowledgeable poster here. And he has a great sense of humour too.

Tim

OP
G

gmhd404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's great to know. I really appreciate the speedy helpful response from the poet and this forum. As an ipad2 newbie, it's great to have such help available.

Thanks twerppoet, & Tim

gmhd404

Most reactions