What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazines on pdf to Ipad

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased a disc from a wood working magazine that has all of their back issues on it in pdf format. I would like to be able to add all of the files to my iPad so I can read the magazines when I don't have access to a pc to read the disc.

Is it possible to get all of the pdfs to my iPad and if so how do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Grant

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you don't have access to a PC, it's going to be near impossible to get the PDF's to your iPad. If you have a PC, you could use something like Drop Box, which is a free app or Mobile Me, which you have to purchase.

With Drop Box, you would simply drag and drop the PDF's from the CD to the Drop Box folder on the PC. When you turn on your iPad, with Drop Box installed, the PDF's will automatically appear in Drop Box on the iPad.... this is assuming you have internet access with the PC and iPad.

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your going to have to get that disk to a computer. But when you do, just drag and drop the PDFs to the books section of iTunes, and sync. iBooks now reads PDFs after the up dare a week or so ago.

jecastej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pixetnia.com
Well, you will need the have the PDFs already on your iPad or an access to the internet with a link to your PDF files. But you can drag them on the Library section on iTunes and they will be transferred automatically to the iBooks section. Then press Sync to transfer the PDFs to your iPad.

OP
G

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I need to clarify....I have a pc laptop so I have access. I just wanted to put the pdf's on the iPad do I can read them anytime I am away from the laptop pc.

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I need to clarify....I have a pc laptop so I have access. I just wanted to put the pdf's on the iPad do I can read them anytime I am away from the laptop pc.

Yes, you can do what you want to do, buy just dragging the pdf to "Books" section of iTunes.

Here:

921002251_4AF3M-L.png

You will end up seeing them in the iBooks app under the "PDFs" tab.

Here:

919291210_tXUbB-XL.png

I have been using the Cloudreader app, but with the update of the iBooks app, I no longer use Cloudreader, iBooks meets my needs just fine.

Hope this helps.

Duke

OP
G

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Duke, I will give this a try tonight when I get home.

Samurai, I would do that but there are over 400 pdf files on the disc.

Rlanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I don't like about iBooks for PDFs is that you can't pinch to zoom. Text in magazines is often too small for me to read, especially on the iPad.

My solution is Goodreader and Dropbox. Goodreader is super fast and the benefits go beyond just reading PDFs. And it's only $0.99.

deaffob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have Goodreader, you don't need pc to sync pdf files. I download all the magazines all the time from megaupload, rapidshare, depositfiles, etc.

OP
G

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, you can do what you want to do, buy just dragging the pdf to "Books" section of iTunes.

Here:

921002251_4AF3M-L.png

You will end up seeing them in the iBooks app under the "PDFs" tab.

Here:

919291210_tXUbB-XL.png

I have been using the Cloudreader app, but with the update of the iBooks app, I no longer use Cloudreader, iBooks meets my needs just fine.

Hope this helps.

Duke

Duke,
Thanks again for the information. I did this last night with the first ten magazines and it worked flawlessly. Now I have 180 more to get off the disc and onto my iPad.

This Forum never stops amazing me. The group of people are great and the sharing of knowledge is amazing and second to none.

Grant

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
If at some point you want to go a step further.... I use Dropbox (free app and free on your PC) and Goodreader. Last night I wanted to try out some PDF magazines, since I had not tried them before. Being a cheap jerk that I am I wanted to try free things, and if I like buy some later. Went to the Torrents, got Nature, Keyboard, and Computer Music mags (I mess around in electronic music). Put the PDF's in Dropbox... later in the evening on the couch I opened Goodreader, went to my Dropbox and got the mags. Reading was great! The print was small but I was able to zoom with ease (portrait view is best) and overall was impressed......

I just may try to find some to buy.....

With your 400 mags, you could put them on Dropbox... and then pull them onto your iPad as needed, anywhere there is WIFI... or if you have the 3G iPad, anywhere....

Most reactions