What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

magazines and newspapers on iPad

Olesya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
my name is Olesya, and I'm currently writing my MA dissertation in University of the Arts London. The question of my dissertation is 'What are the interactive opportunities of publishing on modern digital devices?' and in my methodology I'm looking to
The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, GQ Magazine and Wired magazine apps for iPad.

If you have an iPad, downloaded some magazine or newspaper apps, and if, of course, you have a few minutes, can you please answer my questions or just write any feedback!

• What do you think about interactivity in this applications?
  • How it's interface is different to simple web pages, print versions or mobile phone application?
  • When you first downloaded application did it match your expectations of all interactive features iPad can provide?
  • What do you think is missing?

Any other comments are more than welcome!

Thanks again

Olesya

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd suggest you try it for yourself in a store or somewhere else.

The feeling of reading an adapted magazine such as in Zinio is so different and awesome that it can only be experienced by yourself.

If I described to you how it feels to ride a motorcycle, you wouldn't understand unless you had ridden one yourself.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting subject but one I feel is a little premature.

The iPad is still very new and it potential not fully explored yet. Many online journals are first attempts which were developed on emulators before it was released.

The majority of print publishers will be doing intensive research into this subject and those that have published apps will be modifying their early offerings in the light of experience.
It's certainly far too early to reach any firm conclusions.
Good luck regardless.

OP
O

Olesya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan, I agree with you, and I did read various publications on iPad, but unfortunately for my case study, my opinion is not enough. That's why I'm asking people to answer my questions on their expectation and feeling and if they would like to change anything

Smileym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the sun (uk) app. Takes a minute or two to download the paper in the morning and I get the print version on my iPad. Easy to flick through the paper.

I don't know what other papers apps are like but would recommend you check it out

gad5264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not much of a news junkie but I must say. I do use my iPad to read the USAToday. Every morning when I am getting ready for work, I fire up my wifi and download the days newspaper. It's a great way to kill 15 minutes at break in the morning catching up on the news. Much easier than watching it on tv in my opinion.

Also I just transferred about 210 magazines from a disc that I had so I can read them whenever I want to. The pdf's are from Wood Magazine and it's basically the first 25 years of the publication from the first one to the end of 2009. I absolutely love it because I can now get rid of my hard copy magazine collection.

OP
O

Olesya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your replies! How about any interactive functions I would like to use in magazine or newspaper applications?

ventus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with a previous poster. It is too early to get a good read of magazines on the iPad because they are still feeling out this new platform. Give them a few months to find out what works and what the readers like, then come back.

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you think about interactivity in this applications?

I have subscribed to USA Today and Popular Mechanics.

I typically just read the magazine/newspaper and only on rare occasions do I click a link.

How it's interface is different to simple web pages, print versions or mobile phone application?

The display is as visually pleasing as the print versions. I find the ability to zoom in or out with pictures and texts makes it superior to the print version.

I think that adding streaming video will blur the lines between print media and news networks.

I never read magazines etc on a computer. I typically do this type of reading for recreation and sitting at a computer desk is not relaxing. The ipad combines the abilities of computer delivery with the convenience and portability of printed media.

When you first downloaded application did it match your expectations of all interactive features iPad can provide?

Yes.

What do you think is missing?

The selection of magazines and newspapers is not everything that could be wished for at this point. I expect that this will improve.

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After reading this thread I downloaded the USA app and will give it a try. Looks good at first look. I'm a news junkie anyway but it's usually google news.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I acquired the Zinio app and subscribed to National Geographic, Mother Earth News, Eco Car magazines and just for fun the Readers Digest free cartoon jokes issue.

In Zinio there is a bar at the bottom of the page that allows a quick browsing of a magazine by showing thumbnails of all pages. Tap on one and you're on that page. Text is too small, pinch zoom and surf on the page. Pictures come out awesome in this way. That makes NG a better read in this way than the paper version.

Links are annoying to use at this stage because Zinio has to shut down, open Safari and then bring the link. When you're done with it you must shut down Safari and reopen Zinio back to that page. Multitasking would bring a more gracious feel to this experience.

Interestingly, my biggest praise will go to the on demand Geico commercials inside the Readers Digest special issue. The videos are native inside the magazine, click on the picture and it becomes a video window still incased in the page layout. Classy!

Magazines are a perfect application for the iPad touch interface.

I don't read newspapers because they lock me in a timeframe style of "read it now or forget it". It's not my lifestyle, I prefer reading when I feel like it and that's not every day.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zinio gets my vote as a magazine e-reader. I've been using it for a few months now and love it

Most reactions

Latest posts