What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost mail draft

zykadelic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, making my first post here after hours of frustrating search on both the iPad and Google search.

I have my Gmail account setup to import all my mails from any other email adresses I use, and then have that Gmail account synced with my iPad 2.

Yesterday I created a new email from my computer on the Gmail.com website and saved it as a draft. I then opened it up on my iPad to continue working on it from there. I opened it up on the iPad and continued my work, all nice and dandy.
After about an hour of writing, I saved the mail as a draft to once again to return to the computer to attach a file. It then magically disappeared.

I've searched through all of my mail folders on both the iPad and on the Gmail website and neither had the email. The weird thing is, I can find the email through a Spotlight search on the pad, but clicking the email from there just takes me to the "All mailboxes" section of the Mail app.

My Google searches haven't given me any luck in the matter.
Since I spent about an hour writing this, I'd hate having to re-write the whole thing.

Any help appreciated!

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is light and flat, you could use it as an effective frisbee. Even so, I wouldn't trust it further than I could throw it.

I opened up one of my Gmail accounts just now through the Mail app. I knew I had a few drafts saved that aren't important. I edited the text on one, then saved it from the two options under cancel button. While it kept the email in the draft folder, all the text had been deleted, the original and the edit, leaving just the title!

I put in some more text, saved the draft as before. This time the text was saved.

It's a conspiracy of randomness. I have learned with many of these apps that it often pays to go directly to the desktop site via a browser app, and do what I need to do as I would on a PC. It appears to me that many apps amount to presentation over function. The iPad is lots of fun providing you don't have to depend on it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Etj85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have re-written a cover-letter for a specific position 3 times now and its absolutely doing my head in! I ham having the same problem! I tried sending it once the edited draft was complete. Never sent never went to outbox and it just disappeared leaving the original document containing attached PDF resume and no text (i.e. Cover letter I spent forever writing!! Grrrrr!). Then I tried re-writing text with much frustration over good 30mins as this is important and needs to be worded perfectly and then clicked to save to drafts - in the iPad mail function/app and it looked like it saved...appeared WITH THE TEXT and attachment in the drafts and before my eyes refreshes itself again (the drafts folder) and it disappears only leaving old unedited text-less email with the document attached. I am about to snap this thing over my knee so so so pissed off! Can anyone please actually offer real advice or resolute!!

Last edited:

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Etj85 said:
I have re-written a cover-letter for a specific position 3 times now and its absolutely doing my head in! I ham having the same problem! I tried sending it once the edited draft was complete. Never sent never went to outbox and it just disappeared leaving the original document containing attached PDF resume and no text (i.e. Cover letter I spent forever writing!! Grrrrr!). Then I tried re-writing text with much frustration over good 30mins as this is important and needs to be worded perfectly and then clicked to save to drafts - in the iPad mail function/app and it looked like it saved...appeared WITH THE TEXT and attachment in the drafts and before my eyes refreshes itself again (the drafts folder) and it disappears only leaving old unedited text-less email with the document attached. I am about to snap this thing over my knee so so so pissed off! Can anyone please actually offer real advice or resolute!!

When composing a letter, draft, or blog post, essay etc. I use Writing Kit. It's never let me down, saves everything automatically. Then when its written, go to Tasks > Markdown Source Code > Export > Email and there's the email ready to send or save as draft.

I can't tell what's wrong with your mail app but you won't have to retype your mail over and over.

Most reactions

Latest posts