What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loss of email attachment

Mike rooke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am 69 years old and not at all familiar with computer operating systems so please bare with me if this is a little drawn out. If any replies are forthcoming please try to make them as understandable as possible. Thank you.
My problem is that I can receive all attachments and can open attachments if they are kept in my In box. However , I have created a new folder and saved some emails to a new folder. When I then go to view these I find the attachment has disappeared and the wording in the file is like machine code. This does not happen with every attachment however. WHY ?
I had a major problem when I saved airline Etickets to a new folder. And when I came to print them off the attachment had disappeared and the tickets. Same happened with E visas.
I have an iPad Air 2 10.3.2

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, Mike rooke!

Do you save the emails with attachments in a folder in your Mail app, or do you save the attachments to another app on your device?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mike rooke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for promp reply. I use create new folder within my mail app

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an email account like Outlook installed on your iPad, make sure you sync the emails to your iPad without limitation.

In your Settings app, go to Mail - Accounts, select the account, go to Mail Days to Sync, and select "No Limit". If you choose something different, the emails will disappear from the Mail app (and the folder), although they will still be on the server.

In general, it's better to save attachments to an app on your iPad, where they don't get lost or disappear.
If you use iCloud Drive you can store them there, e.g. There are also lots of other storage options, depending on the type of file you need to save. Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive are just a few of those with a wide variety of files they can save.

OP
M

Mike rooke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. Unfotuately the mail days option does not appear in any links in my account. I have however developed the strategy of printing everything important before saving it straight from my in box. I will practice saving unimportant attachments to iCloud as an excersize. Many thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts