What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on the right gear for my intended uses.

JStro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased an ipad with the intention of using it as the center of my music setup. (fx, looping, recording, etc) So I have been relentlessly crawling the web in search of the proper gear to accomplish all my intending uses, without getting gear that may limit me from expanding my set-up in the future. Then I decided that before I start spending money on anything I should consult ye, oh wise internet, to help.

Since the live set-up I envision is probably what the bulk of the gear I'll need will be aimed towards, here is what I would like to be able to do. I'm looking for a good audio interface that allows for midi instruments, drum pads/samplers, vox, and audio instruments to be all going through the ipad. I intend to use a looping program like loopy, and have multiple different inputs to feed into the program. I'm basically looking for a setup that will allow all this and room to expand with things such as a bluetooth pedalboard.

GaryLee4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you planning on using your ipad for performance, or just for recording?

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey JStro,

I'm still fairly new to making music on the iPad, but not when it comes to digital composition, performance, arranging, and recording. Gary Lee's question is a good one because it will determine the type of interface you'll need. If you'll be using it primarily for everything but live performance, then you can get by with a fairly small interface, like the one I currently use, a Scarlett 2i4. But if you want to use it for live performance, then you'll need one with enough channels to handle all the instruments/voices that will be playing simultaneously.

Ultimately what you'll likely choose will depend upon your budget, but if I were looking for a good interface for live performance, I'd give the MOTU models a close look, like their 828 MK3, for instance. The MOTU interfaces come with some very nice mixing software -- and the iPad is supported with their CueMix app.

Of course there are other possibilities, like the Scarlett 18i6, for example, which is nicely priced for its feature set.

Most reactions

Latest posts