What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longitude and latitude

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Is there an App for the iPad that can give you the longitude and latitude coordinates for where you are? Reason for asking is at work we hire out equipment and we don't have a proper address ie it could be a farmers field. They an be difficult to find but when we deploy we old record coordinates and if there is a visit to that site we can issue to an App those coordinates to find?

So I would also need a navigation App tht works on coordinates

Thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You would need an iPad with cellular data capability. These iPads have built in GPS, which would give you the latitude and longitude of your position almost anywhere in the world. A cellular data plan is not needed to use the GPS. If you look in the AppStore, there are various navigation apps that give you the ability to download maps for offline use.

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPads I am using have SIM cards in, the others would use smartphones

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not all map apps with give you lat and longitude. At least not in an easily readable format. I have not been able to get the native Maps app nor the Google Maps app to show me the coordinates; though they will let me share the map location via email it's just a link/file that will open to the right location in another map app.

I'm sure there are any number of cheap or free apps that will just show you the coordinates. My favorite (not free) app is MotionX GPS HD. It can be set to show your current lat and long on screen at all times. You can also email, tweet, or FaceBook your current location. The email is very complete. You can even include a photo.

It includes links, time, lat and long, picture if you take one, and the waypoint in two different file formats for importing into other map applications.

Using this with Evernote (you can mail notes to your Evernote account) would make it pretty easy to keep a log of locations with a handy photo to nudge the memory. You'd need a data connection for the best results, but it should work without, as long as you are willing to wait for email deleviery and note syncing.

As a bonus, you could have it go to a shared Evernote notebook so that more than one person can contribute, view, and edit.

There are probably other simpler and cheaper options, but this is what popped into my head based on the apps I own.

Here are a couple of screen shots.

image-1104733512.jpg

MotionX-GPS_Waypoint.jpg

Last edited:

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The compass app shows latitude/longitude in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pargeo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Altimeter HD is for IPad and it has Latitude and Longitude display

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I learned something new today. My ipad mini doesn't have cellular so I couldn't check there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trivia time;

Both the iPad and iPhone have a built in digital compass in both the wi-fi and cellular models. That's what the compass app is about. I'm guessing that Apple didn't include a compass app for the iPad because it seems counter intuitive to be walking around navigating with a big tablet. It would make more sense for the iPad Mini, but there I'm guessing Apple does not want to differentiate the iPad line's software more than necessary.

However, if a compass is what you want, the Maps app has a small one. If you tap the arrow button at the bottom left twice, so that the map rotates as you turn, a small compass appears at the top right. You must be in this mode for it to act as a compass. If you see the compass in any other mode it just means you've rotated the map so that North is no longer at the top of the screen. The compass will indicate which way north is on the Map.

I did not mention this because Maps does not have a way to show you Lat and Long, which is what the OP wanted.

It's possible that Apple will include a compass app for the iPad eventually. They broke down and gave us a clock app, and it only took to full iOS updates for it to happen. ;)

Then again, there are tons of third party compass/location apps, many free, so it's not exactly needed.

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies

I do want to see the latitude and longitude because we have to know the exact spot where our machinery is. We don't Lways have the luxury of an address. If we have an app that can do this, the engineer can then send it back to the office to keep a record of it. Then when another ENGIEER needs to go to site, they can find it without having to drive arou d for hours trying to find it

Most reactions

Latest posts