What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Links not working on Safari

burton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I usually was able to log on to secure online banking sites without any problem before the iOS 5 update, but now Safari gives an error message. Also, I notice that links with numbers only (ie credit card numbers) will not open, instead the browser ask confirmation to save it in contacts or copy.

Do I have to off some features in Safari? Please help.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset Safari completely.

Go to the Home screen
Double-press the Home button to open the multi-task bar.
Now press and hold any icon until they all start to jiggle.
Now touch the upper left hand corner of the Safari icon to quit (but not delete) the app.

Press the Home button to close the multi-task bar.

Try again and see if the problem has disappeared.

Tim

OP
B

burton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I tried that already. Also rebooted the iPad. But the problem persists.
What bothers me is that Safari did not have these problems before the iOS 5 update.
Any other suggestions pls?

trinner37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
solving no links working in safare with ipad

on 4/17/12, I suddenly lost the functionality of links. I searched google for lost links with safari. It found useful links in this forum. But then the links would not work. I switched to my laptop and found the useful message again which recommended going to the Home window and deleting Safari during the "wiggle". But my Safari had no delete X above the icon. The alternative suggested was to reset ipad. I went to settings-general-found a reset option, clicked it and --yes-- when I opened safari again-- all was well. Thanks to you all.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
trinner37 said:
on 4/17/12, I suddenly lost the functionality of links. I searched google for lost links with safari. It found useful links in this forum. But then the links would not work. I switched to my laptop and found the useful message again which recommended going to the Home window and deleting Safari during the "wiggle". But my Safari had no delete X above the icon. The alternative suggested was to reset ipad. I went to settings-general-found a reset option, clicked it and --yes-- when I opened safari again-- all was well. Thanks to you all.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You cannot delete Safari from the home screen as it is a native app for the iPad, meaning it comes already loaded. What they mean is to close the app completely. When playing an app and then switching to another app the original app is not closed completely but is sitting in your multi task bar awaiting the time you use it again. Whenever an app plays app the first step to take is to close it completely. You do this from the home screen by doing the four finger swipe up or double press the home button and your multi task bar will appear along the bottom. Here you will see all the apps you have opened and it is here that you press an app until it begins to jiggle and a minus sign will appear, you press this to close the app completely. It's a good idea to close all the apps as your iPad will run more smoothly. Hope this helps you.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

trinner37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Leelai. I knew of the icons at the bottom of screen, but had no idea re clearing them when not needed. Also, thanks for all the reference tools.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
trinner37 said:
Thanks, Leelai. I knew of the icons at the bottom of screen, but had no idea re clearing them when not needed. Also, thanks for all the reference tools.

You're welcome, there is just so many tips you can pick up here that will make your life so much easier with your iPad. There really is lots of simple steps we can take for lots of issues. But this one I've mentioned does clear a lot of issues and is the first step to take when you do have one.

Most reactions

Latest posts