What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limiting an Ipad's functions

DarylFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question about the Ipad. I met with a potential client today who is a supervisor at an industrial facility. He asked to have all of the facility’s documents loaded onto Ipads for the employees to access on the production line. The thing is – he wants the employees to only be able to access the relevant documents and nothing else. He doesn’t want them to be able to access any of the Ipad’s other functions. Is there a way to do this – to limit functions like this?
Thanks a lot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can limit some things under the Settings app in General > Restrictions. There is no good way to limit the iPad the way you want for the way you want to use it.

At least I don't see one.

If you were going to physically mount the iPads somewhere, you could place them in a locked case that covers the home button. The user would be unable to exit whatever app you started before the iPad went into the case. I kind of doubt this would work for you.

A better solution would be to buy cheap dedicated ebook readers without wi-fi or 3G access and load just the documents you want to them. Most will read PDF, and most documents can be converted to PDF easily enough.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question about the Ipad. I met with a potential client today who is a supervisor at an industrial facility. He asked to have all of the facility’s documents loaded onto Ipads for the employees to access on the production line. The thing is – he wants the employees to only be able to access the relevant documents and nothing else. He doesn’t want them to be able to access any of the Ipad’s other functions. Is there a way to do this – to limit functions like this?
Thanks a lot.

jailbroken..... yes

but i didn't fully research what iOS 5 brings, in that scenario.

but what is the concern exactly?

don't want them playing games, browsing the web, messing with the settings..etc...what?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could install only the apps required for the documents and then use restrictions to disable Safari and the ability to install or delete apps and that may be enough?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - that's a good idea, because you can prevent access to Safari, UTube etc and prevent the installation and deletion of apps, if there are no email accounts on the iPad you can prevent the installation of new email accounts - thus effectively rendering email useless. If they don't know the company's WiFi password/encryption key then there's no access to the Internet in any case.

Tim

carols

iPF Noob
Reaction score
close down all the internet access,not only 3g and also wifi. No way to surf the internet or send the emails.

Most reactions

Latest posts