What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hidden Dangers of iPad (iCloud)

andyshepherd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of my pals (an infinite fan of Apple) was just speculating about iCloud usability, even though he always maintains quite a high level of his data protection. Passwords, passcodes, password keepers and managers, data security - that’s what he stakes on! With that he didn’t even suppose that a very quick connection to unprotected public Wi-Fi network in McDonalds can lead to data leakage. We were sitting in such one. He couldn’t believe my words, but when I got to know his Apple ID and a password, I showed how easily all his work and private life appeared at my disposal, whereas his iPad was still lying in his pocket, I didn’t even touch it all this time. Now I could get all his emails, pictures and all his geolocation data, even new ones just within a little time difference. Finally, my friend got this FBI-syndrome that he is being watched and so on. He even started dwelling on global sneaking spyware and the very next day when we met, he was carrying a simple brick-phone. The point here is that even iPad and public Wi-Fi are incompatible, because even iPad can provide only relevant security, and even if it’s not jailbroken and has only licensed software, you can easily become a victim because of Apple software shortcomings. And that is why right after Elcomsoft updated their EPPB with this new feature which can download iCloud data IBM officially prohibited their employees using both iCloud and iPhones for business. Do you think you are being watched after? Oh, perhaps you are.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

In regards to public WiFi - this is a good example as to why people should be very careful when on public WiFi. The data is being streamed and can be picked up by "bad" people. Safe Internet surfing is always recommended when away from your home network (that is hopefully password protected). People should never access sites that require personal, security or financial data while on public networks. This includes accessing your e-mail as your details are broadcast "in the clear."

Yes, the iPad is safe from attackers. But, your transmitted data is NOT. The best protection for accessing the Internet while out and about is a good VPN (virtual private network) client, which will encrypt your data as it leaves the iPad. It's either that or don't go to secure sites while out in public. The savvy browser always protects him/herself.

</public service announcement> :)

Marilyn

P.S. And, since this really isn't a Hacking section topic (we talk here about "modding" our iPads, not hacking other people's accounts/browsing sessions), I've taken the liberty of moving your post of to the General Discussions part of this forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly the issues related to privacy and security whilst connected to public wi-fi is not a problem specific to Apple devices...

We note with interest that you are posting this exact text on multiple internet forums today, something which is often a sign of deliberate trolling and immediately raises warning flags to our staff (ironically enough, an example of how you yourself are being watched).
Trolling won't be tolerated here but you are welcome to contribute to a legitimate discussion of the issues raised if that's what you intend to do.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. Though there are areas dangers associated with using insecure public wifi access points, it's not simple to exploit and this post clearly rings with the sounds of trolling.

And of course this has nothing to do with the device you are attached with and everything to do with how secure a public wifi connection really is - a subject widely discussed.

Most reactions

Latest posts