What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's Talk ePrinters?

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went with the HP Envy 100

Well, despite my concerns about going with a printer that had a three color cartridge (rather than individual cartridges for each color), I picked up an HP Envy 100 today at Best Buy. I decided that since it wasn't my primary printer, and I would use it only for iPad and off-site email printing, it would be ok. As Macgirl noted, there is a black XL size cartridge available - but there is ALSO a color XL cartridge.

I went based on several recommendations here, as well as just trying it out in the store. It really is a pretty nice little printer. VERY unobtrusive, quiet.

It set up pretty well on my Vista 64 PC system. It didn't like one of my wireless networks at work, but took the other one just fine.

I did just minimal testing of printing from the iPad - very slick and easy for text and emails. I printed a picture just to see what would happen, and it did a borderless 8.5x11 print on plain paper. Looked pretty good for that type of paper. Took a long time to print the photo.

Does the printer scale the prints based on the size of paper that's in the tray? From the iPad, I don't see any way to set up the printer in the print dialog box that comes up on the iPad.

Has anyone sorted this out yet?

Thanks!

Larry

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there anything with very good OCR scanning yet? I started a new thread a few days ago - nothing.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anything with very good OCR scanning yet? I started a new thread a few days ago - nothing.
OCR that comes bundled with all in one printers is never quite good and up to now none will work with iPad. It's just like those printer drivers

OCRKit and OCRTool Pro. They're separate apps in the app store. I haven't tried them but the resumé seems promising. One of them will read text off a jpeg, that's cool...

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes on HP Envy use - 2nd day of use

OK... so I've been "playing" (to quote some here!) with the Envy, and it has a little bit of funkiness, but I BET much of that is connected with my network.

I tried to print a six page document and it printed pages 3-6, omitting pages 1-2. When I tried to print again, it was hung up. So I restarted both printer and iPad, and it seemed to have trouble finding the printer. It finally did, and printed the document fine. Hmmm...

I mentioned earlier that I was curious if the printer selected the print size based on what size of paper was loaded... I tried it with some HP 4x6 photo paper, and it sized the photo to fit the paper - I suspect it's because HP photo paper has coding on the back to indicate what size and type (an assumption - not sure if it can detect type, meaning glossy or matte, advanced or premium) of paper it is. So... with HP photo paper, it does auto select.

With non-HP photo paper - I put a 4x6 sheet in and it spit it out and told me to load some paper. It was Ilford Gold-Fiber Silk, kind of heavy and it may not have liked it.

So... there aren't many controls on the printing process. I'm used to a color-balanced system using ICM profiles or my RIP program for printing out of Photoshop onto my Epson 4880. This AIN'T that. But for quick printing of docs and pics, it seems ok.

Of the photo apps I have (PS Express, Photogene, and FolioBook), only the native Photo app handles printing at all at this point.

OH! And I see that the HP Envy 100 is on sale for $50 off at Best Buy (so, $199), so I'm going back there with my receipt for a pricematch! Cool!

Larry

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to upgrade my HP Premium All-In-One to an 'e' printer?

Todd

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody found a laser that works with the iPad? I'm looking for a wireless laser, and if it would work with the iPad that would just make it a little sweeter. I already have a wireless Photosmart printer, but that gets used for photos only, because of ink costs. For the rest of the everyday printing needs in the house we use lasers.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lasers which "may require a firmware upgrade"

HP provided this list of printers that would work with the iPad:
http://www.hp.com/sbso/printing/mac/apple-airprint.pdf

All the Laser printers "may require a firmware upgrade." I THINK that means that when they connect to the web they automatically upgrade and will work. It lists 5 laser printers, 4 of which are color lasers.

Anyone try one yet?

Larry

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From http://www.hp.com/sbso/printing/mac/apple-airprint.pdf
» LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer (HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English))
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fn Color Multifunction Printer (HP LaserJet CM1410 Color Multifunction Printer series)
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Printer (HP LaserJet CM1410 Color Multifunction Printer series)
» LaserJet Pro CP1525n Color Printer (HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English))
» LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer (HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English))

The only one of these which is not color is the M1536, which requires the purchase of a "hardware accessory" (Which doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, so I would be leary about buying this thinking I was going to use it wirelessly).
The only one that isn't a multi-function is the CP1525. I already have a multi-function Photosmart, which was about my only choice the last time I replaced my photo printer, because all-in-ones are about all you can get. I've got a stand-alone scanner, so I don't need a printer that scans. And what I am looking for is a printer that just prints black, cheaply. I'll either have to make do with the CP1525, or wait a while longer and see if the technology filters down to something like the P1102w, which is the only single function, black and white laser HP sells anymore.

Last edited:

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought an HP 8500a Premium-works perfectly!

So... my home printer died - ribbon cable severed from the ink cartridge carriage. Wasn't my favorite printer ever, but it worked - usually. I wasn't planning to replace it, but thougth since I was, I wanted something wireless for my work laptop when I bring it home, and, of course, for the iPad.

I had read that the firmware to allow Airprint to work wasn't going to be updated until December 27th, but the HP info changed and it was available December 9th. I didn't know that - just figured I'd wait until after Christmas - needed a printer now. When I set up the printer on my wireless network, it checked for new firmware and asked if it could download - I let it, and was pleased that the iPad now works with it.

THe 8500a Premium is their top printer in that line - much more robust than the Envy that I also have (office). The 8500a line has individual ink cartridges, and the Premium adds a 2nd paper tray so legal can be loaded in at the same time - or cover stock, or whatever.

I had wanted to get the lower Plus model, but no one had it around me, so I looked online. NewEgg had it for $299 - $200 off list, and it includes extra color cartridges.

The printer is great - no issues at all. The Envy is also nice, but for much lower volume.

Larry

Most reactions

Latest posts