What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's invent something for audio output

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, not talking high tech, very low tech. I think you may have noticed by now that if you cup your hand at the iPad speaker the sound improves greatly. We need a clip on device so we don't have to hold a hand up to the speaker to hear a movie.

I'm thinking of and trying stuff as simple as a business card taped to the side to direct the sound at you instead of to the right.

Any suggestions out there? A plastic thing in the shape of a clam shell would work but needs to clip on. Could be produced for pennies. I'd pay 10 bucks for one. I don't like earphones.

Brainstorm...right here. There's got to be a solution.

Rexh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ejbpesca said:
Nope, not talking high tech, very low tech. I think you may have noticed by now that if you cup your hand at the iPad speaker the sound improves greatly. We need a clip on device so we don't have to hold a hand up to the speaker to hear a movie.

I'm thinking of and trying stuff as simple as a business card taped to the side to direct the sound at you instead of to the right.

Any suggestions out there? A plastic thing in the shape of a clam shell would work but needs to clip on. Could be produced for pennies. I'd pay 10 bucks for one. I don't like earphones.

Brainstorm...right here. There's got to be a solution.

I have gone to the bathroom, picked up a plastic Small cup (about 1.5" high), cut a a portion out, leaving about 2/3 of the cup and bottom.
Then with a piece of tape, tape it to the back so that the cup can swivel to the side. This produces a cup around the speaker and directs the sound to the front of the Ipad and improves the sound tremendously.
It is Very Low Tech.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Attachments

• sounjaw w case.jpg
    sounjaw w case.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 442
OP
E

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sound jaw is ok but limited. My iPad has a case I cant do without so I need another solution. I bet the inventor may extend to more types. In the meantime I will start taping different things to redirect the sound.

The post about the kickstart refers to a "back speaker." ?? Speaker is on side not back.

How about a plastic card like credit card that has been bent?

Hand works best with that cupping shape. I may even tape a scallop shell to my case to get the concave or I guess parabolic thing going.

Matchbook
Spray can top
Hinge....yeah, can fold it back.

Last edited:

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd be willing to pay for a device as OP suggests, but I wouldn't use the Soundjaw for free, because you can't use it with a case.

I'll find out soon as I just ordered two for my wife and I. We have Cover Buddy's. I did ask the developer about cases and he said he uses one with a Belkin hard cover. He said it wasn't a perfect fit but did the job. I don't see leaving it on all the time, mainly for music and vids etc. I'll report back after they come in a couple days.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd be willing to pay for a device as OP suggests, but I wouldn't use the Soundjaw for free, because you can't use it with a case.

I'll find out soon as I just ordered two for my wife and I. We have Cover Buddy's. I did ask the developer about cases and he said he uses one with a Belkin hard cover. He said it wasn't a perfect fit but did the job. I don't see leaving it on all the time, mainly for music and vids etc. I'll report back after they come in a couple days.

Hope that works for you. I could tell from the photos that it wouldn't work with most cases, including mine. I wouldn't want one even if it sort of fit my case. If I buy an accessory, I don't want it to sort of fit, lol.

I have an idea for a sound-enhancing accessory, but I'm not interested in product development and I don't want to give away the idea for free.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have an idea for a sound-enhancing accessory, but I'm not interested in product development and I don't want to give away the idea for free.
Let me guess...it's "effin golden" ? :)

OP
E

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got it

Made my own sound jaw like device. No need to pay for this.

I have a Belkin leatherette case/stand with an elastic band for holding it shut.

Make your own sound deflector for it with any plastic card....like a credit card.

Make a double cut in the card to form a thin slit a little over an inch deep, nearly halfway to the center of the card. I just eyeballed this, no measuring. Object is to make a slit that will allow the card to slide onto the elastic band on the case causing a couple inches of the card to be poking out to the right of the iPad. Now bend the card a bit till you get the optimum sound deflection coming at your face instead of shooting out the side of your iPad. Now bend the corners towards you a bit. There's your sound cheek not jaw. $20 for that thing? Got to be kidding. Cost? Uh. A dime?

Cup your hand at the speaker and you will hear what my sound cheek will do. Free to the people.

I am also going to cut one hole in the case for the speaker vent. I think those little holes punched in the case dampen the sound.

Mark my word. You will be seeing devices like this as part of cases soon...if they have any sense.

The thin iPad 2 has to have a soft case for me. Just too sharp edged to hold.

This card thing really makes a difference. I can't hear my iPad over my AC...I can now.

Last edited:

ipad2noobdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a better idea, for the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3, why don't Apple reposition the speakers in front of the iPad facing forward rather than pointing the speakers straight down like they been doing. I think if Apple can put a front facing camera on the iPad then they can make this happen too!

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we received our SoundJaws and stuck 'em on our iPads. I can confirm that it fits nicely over a Cover Buddy back cover. Can also confirm that it works as advertised. There's a noticeable difference in sound quality and level, at least to our untrained ears. And the black blends right in with the bezel, making it barely noticeable. For now I'm gonna try leaving it on all the time rather than putting it on just when needed.

Call me crazy for spending the money for a product actually designed for a specific purpose (my wife did :) ). But I think I'd rather have something attached to my device that blends in nicely and doesn't look jerry-rigged as opposed to a self-fashioned piece of plastic or an old credit card. ;)

OP
E

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK..that is cool but. I needed to add to my sound delima is that I have a Belkin soft case and stand on my Ipad. None of the marketed products will fit over a case like this. So..I took a credit card like card, cut the slit and mounted on the elastic closing strap..cost ..zero. I would love to have that horn on my Ipad but it will not fit over the case I consider a must. I naked Ipad is hard to hold onto, sharp, uncomfortable. This soft case I have solves all that except it is not a good fit to the controls and it muffles the speaker.

One thing I am impressed with for a hundred bucks though is one of those stands that you can mount it to and watch TV in bed with it dangling over your head. Pretty cool.

Most reactions

Latest posts