What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lesson Learn't

bigandbald

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently ordered a New ipad Air 128 GB - obviously I'm very excited about my purchase. I currently own an ipad 2 so in technology it's a great leap forward. To make ready for my new device I decided to back up my ipad to the cloud which meant I'd have to purchase some extra icloud space. I'm not sure it's working correctly at first it gave me an estimated time period of 94 hours which was quite a shock, the next day I decided to check how the back up was progressing and to my disappointment it had failed. So not being a defeatist I decided to give it another go - hurray it gave me an estimated time of 13 hours which seemed a much better propersistion than before. My joy was short lived my next check was a couple of hours later it had jumped to 35 hours and then I had to rub my sore eyes on inspection again it had jumped to 54 hours. Now am I being stupid I thought it should go down with the passage of time? I'm currently 47 years old I reckon by the time I'm 50 it should have completed its first back up I would like to cancel my icloud storage and get a refund within the statuary 15 day period after numerous phone calls, being fobbed off, redirected back to the apple web site and then having to book a call back tomorrow leaves me less than impressed with the icloud service, it's next too useless lol. The only reason why I wanted to use icloud was I'd normally use my wife's PC laptop to back up through iTunes, unfortunately it's on its last legs. My other option was to buy a time capsule, I've now discovered that you really need a mac for this to operate correctly. I can't believe that apple haven't got a device to back up iPhones and iPads without having to use a mac or PC or icloud which is a substandard service.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How much data are you actually trying to backup? I assume you have a good wifi connection?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For anything over several GB, it's best to use a computer. Your wifi speed may be great, but Apple's servers are always a little..... Lacking. I can upload a 5GB file via peer-to-peer in about 30 minutes, but it takes me about an hour and 15 on average to upload about 1.2 onto iCloud

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

OP
bigandbald

bigandbald

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much data are you actually trying to backup? I assume you have a good wifi connection?

Just backing up ipad 2 with about 30GB of data internet connection in this country is slow at the best of times

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 15 GB in Icloud (a lot of photographs but certainly not all--I use Dropbox and apps that sync with Dropbox for all my important data) and my backups don't usually take longer than 20 minutes tops. That was with ipad 3. My Ipad Air has backed up at night so don't know how long but I would expect it to be even shorter. I'm not sure where you are located but i find Icloud works great here in US for me. I restored two ipads, both 64 GB, from Icloud when I bought the Air, reset the three and restored from a One. Sorry you are having issues with it. I have been really happy since IOS 5 I guess when we didn't have to deal with Itunes any longer.

I might suggest going through your icloud management if you haven't and seeing what its backing up. There are many apps that can br turned off because they don't really have data to be backed up. That's just a crazy amount of time for a back up but your choices are backing up via itunes or via the cloud.

D

Deleted member 247820

I tried backing up to iCloud but found it was far too slow, so I just cannot be bothered with it anymore.
My backup size verses my upload speed tells me it should all be done in about 50 minutes to one hour.
Big dismay when after four hours there is still four or five hours to go.
Backing up to a PC (of any type) is all over in a few minutes.
I cannot see how wonderful it is to have a tablet that still requires a PC to achieve the heavy lifting.
Does a galaxy have these issues?
I don't know but I doubt it!

Most reactions

Latest posts