What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About Backups

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All,
Lately, I've been spending considerable time learning about my iPad, so I've been tweaking and making a lot of changes to the machine. For that reason, I've been backing it up daily.

First thing, the length of time. I'm using iCloud, initially it said "Estimated Time Remaining about 6 minutes." Cool! As of now, it says "about 12 hours." This really annoys me: I'm in a hotel and if I want to go out, I'll want to lock the door, doing that automatically cuts off the electricity in the room. Bye bye backup, unless I leave the door unlocked when I'm out, since, as I'll mention further down, the iPad's supposed to be plugged in, i.e. charging, while it's backing up.

Second, do backups overwrite previous ones? I see backups are currently taking up 367 MB of my storage.

I went to Settings->General->Manage Storage, it says that when backing up, the iPad should be plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. OK, I'm plugged in, but my battery's at 100%, in this circumstance, why can I not disconnect the charger (although it's cool now) until it's necessary to plug it in again? So far as the iPad being locked, what difference does that make? I'm obviously not locked now, and it *is* backing up, so what's the deal with that?

I searched other Backup posts before posting this and noticed several people were asking about the backup location. Would there be any reason to care about that except in the case of doing a restoration?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your internet connection is slow, the backup will need more time.

A backup to iCloud doesn't overwrite a previously done backup.
When you backup to iCloud for the first time, this usually takes longer, because everything has to be backed up. A following backup just stores what changed, that's why it doesn't need much storage space. When you restore from an iCloud backup, you can choose which one to use. Generally, you can see three to choose from, afaik.

The iPad needs to be plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi, and locked (black screen) to initiate a backup automatically, because Apple made it work that way.
It doesn't matter whether or not it needs charging. You can keep your iPad plugged in all the time, if you wish, there'll be no damage done to the battery, btw.

It's also possible to backup to iTunes on a computer.
Here are instructions how to do it:
How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

And here are the differences between a backup to iCloud and iTunes:
About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi All,

First thing, the length of time. I'm using iCloud, initially it said "Estimated Time Remaining about 6 minutes." Cool! As of now, it says "about 12 hours." This really annoys me: I'm in a hotel and if I want to go out, I'll want to lock the door, doing that automatically cuts off the electricity in the room. Bye bye backup, unless I leave the door unlocked when I'm out, since, as I'll mention further down, the iPad's supposed to be plugged in, i.e. charging, while it's backing up.

Second, do backups overwrite previous ones? I see backups are currently taking up 367 MB of my storage.

I went to Settings->General->Manage Storage, it says that when backing up, the iPad should be plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. OK, I'm plugged in, but my battery's at 100%, in this circumstance, why can I not disconnect the charger (although it's cool now) until it's necessary to plug it in again? So far as the iPad being locked, what difference does that make? I'm obviously not locked now, and it *is* backing up, so what's the deal with that?

Hello Sproingy - Johanna has already given you great advice w/ several links and I've highlighted a few of your statements above. First, wife & I stay in a lot of hotels w/ Wi-Fi on our trips - these networks can be crowded and at times very slow - I restrict myself to checking emails and web browsing mostly for local attractions and restaurants. I would suggest NOT doing any 'serious' or prolonged maintenance on your iPad when connected to these networks - but that is just my own practice, so up to you.

Second, I believe that Apple's requirements for iCloud backups have the following reasoning: 1) Wi-Fi network needed - obvious reason!; 2) Connected to power - backups especially initial ones can take a while, and if your unplugged iPad's battery 'runs out', then obvious problems may arise; and 3) Locked screen - running apps and changing data might interfere w/ a correct and reliable backup - just some of my thoughts and I'm sure others might have other suggestions.

Third, are those requirements really necessary - well, a Wi-Fi network certainly is needed. You state above that your backup was still ongoing w/ the screen unlocked? Also, last night just after midnight, my iPad Air 2 performed an iCloud backup but was NOT plugged into power (it was nearly fully charged) - would be interested to read others' comments on these last two observations.

Finally, I also do a backup cabled to my MBPro using iTunes - easy to do and provides two backups just in case - Dave :)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think my network is slow, maybe even intermittent- that wouldn't help! I reflect that if I'm using the iPad while it's backing up, changes will be occurring that slow down or even mess up the backup. But when it's taking 12 hours, I want to do something with it. I've tried a few times only to get a message that "the backup could not be completed," with no explanation.

About the automatic backup process, I'll be thinking, "Did the backup really start?, even though it says you can do that.

Do you think there would be anything wrong with me 1. Connecting to WiFi, 2. Plugging it in, 3. Manually starting it, i.e. Settings->iCloud->Backup, then tapping "Back up Now" and then locking the machine?

The only issues I see with doing that are: How do I know how long the backup's going to take to complete, how do I know if it is in fact in progress, and how do I know when it's finished? I mean, with the iPad locked, all I've got to go on is a black screen. So I'd have to unlock it to check on that, right?

I'm going to put it to the test, in the meantime, it would be great to hear from any of you, particularly those of you who do automatic backups to iCloud.

Thanks once again!

p.s. Thanks for the links you've included, actually I already have them in my Notes. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The listed requirements are for automatic backups. The Back Up Now option orverrides all of these. You can use it whenever you want, however I would make sure you have a decent charge on the iPad.

I would never initiate a backup on a connection that said it was going to take 12 hours. This is simply too slow, and you can almost guarantee that something will interupt the backup before it is finished.

If you serioulsly need a backup while away from your home network, I'd recomend vising somewhere with a good wi-fi connection, and giving it a try there. Be prepaird to spend maybe an hour there. A public library, or a coffee shop like Starbucks (if not too busy) might be good choices.

You can use an app like Oookla's Speed Test to give the network a quick check first, to see if it's likely to get your backup done within the hour. The upload speed is the critical measurement when it comes to backups.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, you're right- I woke up this morning to find the backup hadn't even started. I'll give it a go based on your advice.

I guess no matter what the User Guide says, you have to use some trial & error- find your own way for what works and what doesn't.

Well, I'm prepared to do that! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

User guides are written for the most common usage (or what the manufacturer thinks will be the most common). They almost never cover things like what to do when you're traveling. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerp poet, you are the man! I went to another place, not my hotel. I ran the Ookla speed test, then turned off my VPN, and ran Ookla again. That doubled the upload speed, and ping went from 607 ms to 15 ms. Backup complete in less than 5 minutes! Backup size was 187 MB. Next one estimated at 11MB.

You got me on my way!

Thanks so much! :) :)

Most reactions

Latest posts