What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest "Obnoxiosity" from Apple

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Just noticed that I have two app updates at the Apple App Store. Started the download and up pops a notice saying something like "App Store Rules have changed." I was then instructed that I had to agree to FORTY-ONE pages of crap in order to simply get the free updates on my apps.

Has anyone else noticed this yet--and are you as mad as I am?

This happening is quite normal. As mentioned, just legalities. No, you don't need to read any of it, just press ok and all is fine again :)

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe so many folks are so unconcerned about this. P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said that there is a sucker born every minute---and I am inclined to agree!

I did read the brief summary in the intro, but how do I know that they are not trying to dissuade me from reading the whole bolus of legalese?

I have no objection to Apple protecting itself against theft and other chicanery, but to expect each and every customer to wade through 41 pages of crap is just that: Crap, with a capital C!

Suppose the "greeter" at Walmart handed you a 41 page missive when you walked into the store that you had to sign before you made a purchase. Would you complete your shopping trip there? My guess is that you would immediately walk out and do your shopping elsewhere!

The difference? Apple has us locked in as a captive set of buyers. We have already sunk a great deal of money into an iPad. Now, to use it, we are forced to jump through hoops.

Undoubtedly that is the reason Apple refuses to include such things as a Flash reader. That would open them up to competition.

Don't get me wrong. I think Apple products are wonderful. I just don't like to be coerced!!!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a solution. Give me all your Apple products and I'll make sure they'll be treated with care, respect and appreciation.

Is that an iPad 2?
:p

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with the OP's assessment, at least insofar as the legal department at Apple seems to demand as much control as a banana republic dictator. :D

From the always funny Maddox, in one of his tirades against Mac products:

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't...

eula.gif

From the actual iTunes End User License Agreement.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Mac doesn't want blood on its hands. But if you're filling up a EULA with nonsense like that, you're obviously trying to intimidate your user base with a massive document that NO ONE is going to read. I can't single them out in this regard. They're no worse than Microsoft, Real, or Yahoo. But that doesn't make it right.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
I'm inclined to agree with the OP's assessment, at least insofar as the legal department at Apple seems to demand as much control as a banana republic dictator. :D

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/eula.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Mac doesn't want blood on its hands. But if you're filling up a EULA with nonsense like that, you're obviously trying to intimidate your user base with a massive document that NO ONE is going to read. I can't single them out in this regard. They're no worse than Microsoft, Real, or Yahoo. But that doesn't make it right.

Haha! :D

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
antonio107 said:

Well said.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Wow! I can't believe so many folks are so unconcerned about this......Now, to use it, we are forced to jump through hoops...... I just don't like to be coerced!!!

i'm obviously naive and sheep like :p

would you care to explain to me those snippets in your post i just cut out please? and how they relate to me?

you sound pretty bitter about legal claptrap forced on us. who cares? they obviously dont expect us to read it. just hit 'ok' and move on. what hoops am i being coerced to jump through?

i feel as though im fully happy and in control of my own actions thank you.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe so many folks are so unconcerned about this......Now, to use it, we are forced to jump through hoops...... I just don't like to be coerced!!!

would you care to explain to me those snippets in your post i just cut out please? and how they relate to me?

you sound pretty bitter about legal claptrap forced on us. who cares? they obviously dont expect us to read it. just hit 'ok' and move on. what hoops am i being coerced to jump through?

Well said. Post of the day.

So far.:D

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And you really don't see anything in the least bit worrisome about that?

This is one from Itunes 7:

The Small Print Project » Annotated iTunes 7 EULA » The Small Print Project

Some of the things pulled out of that are shocking. I made a valiant effort to try and get through about half of the latest one. But it is hard to agree to something when you only have a vague understanding of what's written.

I must say, although there's enough people blindly whining about all the things the iPad can't do, this is a valid gripe. You should at least make the college try to read EULAs. I'm a bit shocked by the people brushing this off as quickly as the people go "OMG DOODZ! IT NO GETS TEH FLASH!!11!" Apple has demonstrated with the JB saga how good it is at reigning in its gated community. At least read a synopsis of the EULA, if nothing else!

Most reactions

Latest posts